Thursday, June 02, 2016

Yes, I am Still Here!

Just beating Froggy to it, now you don't have to nag me!!  :)

Miss Maggie Moo went to the vet today.  It was time for her rabies and distemper shots, plus it's been two months since her last "read alignment" and that is about how often she needs them.  As usual, she also get her claws trimmed.  Because this was a shot day, she also got an exam and the vet thinks she's actually very healthy and doing very good.  She doesn't quite look her age, she is still a "young" older dog and that's a good thing.  She does have slightly yeasty ears again, so she has an ointment which I will start using on her ears tonight.  We'll see how that goes!  She weighs 34 pounds.

When Otter got the 2008 impala from us, she also got the remote that goes with the car.  The remote had come apart on me a couple of times but then I forgot about it.  It came apart a couple of times on Otter and I looked on eBay to see if I could find another one.  The idea was to take the guts out of her remote and put them in a newer one.  I found a couple but they were either more shipping cost than I thought it should be or the feedback on the seller was bad.  Then we all kind of forgot about it.  Until yesterday morning, which Otter texted me that the remote had come apart again and this time the chip that makes it all work fell out.  She realized it when she was at home as she was unlocking her door, and she thought that it fell out when she was checking her mail because she had used it to lock her car when she got home from work.  She looked for the chip around the mailbox and she retraced her steps but couldn't find it.  Well, it was green and it probably fell in the grass so that's not surprising.  She had the key so she could still lock/unlock/drive the car.  The most that someone would have been able to do would be to start the car but without the key it wouldn't be driveable and it would only run for 8 minutes anyway.  I called Chevy about a replacement.  $150 - $250 for a replacement, or $60 to rewire one if she got a used remote and they wouldn't guarantee it if it didn't come from them.  She was thinking she'd get a used one but then she went back to the mailbox area one more time to look.  And she found the chip!  It was still green and still in grass, and we've had rain, so it was surprising a) that she found it and b) that it still works.  She put the remote back together and was trying to figure out how to keep it together but still be able to open it up when she needed to change the battery.  Then I remembered that I had a car years ago which had a burglar alarm and the remote had a pouch that held it.  I looked online and found a few, and today I ordered her one.  It should be here by the middle of next week.  She will put the remote in the pouch and then it attaches to a key chain but it should keep the remote from coming apart; if it does manage to open up it won't be able to move apart enough for the chip to fall out and the chip won't fit through the opening anyway.  I ordered one for myself as well, maybe it will make it harder for me to accidentally hit the trunk release button!  I did that a lot at first, not so much anymore but I still do occasionally.  I actually have two remotes but I only carry one at a time.  Bill has the 2nd key to my car but he didn't want to carry the remote because his keychain is already pretty heavy.

OK Froggy - I managed to blog this week!

No comments: