Friday, January 12, 2007

BRRRRRRR!!!!!

It's cold! We were supposed to get an ice storm that was to hit about 6:00 p.m. The forecasters seldom get it right, this time they were right about the storm but way off on the time. It started sleeting about 11:30 this morning, I left work at noon and drove to school to get Otter. I got there about 1:00, the roads were ok in places and bad in places. Lots of parents were getting kids early. The ice wasn't too bad at home, but the storm is big and it is heading our way. For about the last hour I've been hearing sleet on the window and the yard now has white spots. The street looks wet, Bill just got home and he said that it's really getting bad now. Lots of accidents and traffic is terrible.

I already had been to the grocery store but decided I needed more milk so I went to Wallyworld on the way to work this morning. So did a lot of people! They were nearly out of milk, I noticed that eggs were in short supply and I saw a lot of people buying bottled water & also things like toilet paper. 3 very important things: bread, milk, toilet paper. You don't want to run out of any of them! I'm glad I went this morning, for one thing I would not want to be driving at the moment and for another thing, I might have been out of luck if I'd waited!

We should be well below freezing until at least Tuesday. With the fact that this storm is mostly ice, there are probably going to be power outages. Our lines are buried, but Tulsa - where the power comes from - are not buried. We brought in a huge amount of firewood yesterday, so if we do lose power we are all going to sleep in the living room because the fireplace really does warm it up in there. I noticed that the dogs are not at all interested in going outside! They'd rather stay inside and sleep, for some reason. Very spoiled.

We've see a lot of birds, the back yard feeders had sparrows earlier and there was a large number of cardinals in the front yard. Otter's parakeet is talking to them, they apparently hear him chirping because they seem to be answering him.

No comments: