Thursday, May 07, 2009

Bamboozled!

We got bamboozled. And then we got Ticked Off.

Bill wanted to try growing bamboo, his thought was that it would make a great wind break along the back fence as well as a natural privacy fence. We looked at Lowe's last night but all they had was decorative indoor plantings. So Bill started looking on Craigslist. Apparently, a lot of people want bamboo because there were a few ads and they were answered fast. But he found one today, and the lady said she had a back yard full just waiting on somebody to come dig it up. We went this afternoon. We weren't the first to answer her ad, but she had a lot. I mean a LOT. Like a forest. We dug up several stalks and they are now planted along the back fence every few feet. Also, there are some that are in a bucket of rain water to root. The ones we got are not huge, but they sprouted from bamboo that was about 15' tall.

Yes, we know how fast it grows, I did the research first. And that it's difficult to control. But, judging from her yard, we will get exactly what we want out of it. She still had plenty, we told her that we might check back with her after the next rainy spell which might start tonight and might last about a week. But I don't think we'll need to.

Then we discovered that her yard had something other than bamboo. Ticks, to be precise. I had 3 and Bill had 5. They've gone swimming now. We know that they came from her yard because the first one I had was discovered in the White Lightning on the way home. I hate ticks. Just typing this is enough to make me feel like I have crawlies all over me! We treat Magginator and Poophead Frasier monthly and it's time again so I'll hit them on Monday morning.
The reason I'm calling Frasier a poophead is that he has a new trick. He absolutely hates to have his ears treated. But he has learned that an ear treatment means a treat. So when he thinks he should get a treat, he will come up to me and start shaking his head. We've watched him enough to know that he's trying a shakedown for a treat. Bill realized it the other day, when I came home after he'd been home and Frasier was fine. Then as soon as I came in the door, he started shaking his head and then when I turned away he stopped. Then the next time I was looking his way, he started rubbing his head on the floor. Until I was out of his sight, then he quit again. Dog's smart, that's for sure.

Froggy, when you come see me next month do you want to go to the Indian Store that we couldn't find last year? I know where it is now. Bill showed me how to get there. We could work it in with the Hominy trip, I'll have to make sure that they are open on Sunday but they probably are.
Otter had a brief asthma spell this week. It was probably allergy inspired. She's been on benadryl the last couple of nights and she was home Tuesday and Wednesday. She's still somewhat congested, but she's at least able to function now. The last day of school is 3 weeks from today and she's more than ready for it. Imagine that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indian store sounds great. Are you sure that you want bamboo. It is a highly invasive species. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Yes, we do want the bamboo. Go back and read where I said I did the research.