Friday, December 31, 2010

Quick Friday Update

I'll do my 2010 year end review on Sunday, or thereabouts.  No time today!  And my December book list at the same time.

Brief update:  Yesterday, we went shopping.  In Arkansas.  Bill had a line on a pachinko machine in Ft. Smith, which is about 1 1/2 hours away.  I told him that it was way too far to go for a pachinko machine that he already knew wasn't in the best shape.  So he had a smart moment - he looked up antique stores in the area and then told me about them!  One of them, the one he was heading to for the aforementioned pachinko, was right across from a yarn store.  So it was a double bonus shopping day for me. :)

He got his machine, I got several pieces of Fenton and 2 skeins/balls of the Brett yarn that I fell in love with in San Antonio last summer.  And the yarn turned out to be on sale, which was even better!  We also hit a few other antique/flea market/thrifts while we were there and had lunch.  We had a good time, we were gone from about 9:00 in the morning (we had breakfast at Braum's first) and got home around 3:00 in the afternoon.

Next time, we might head to Springdale (Arkansas) or Joplin (Missouri) or possibly somewhere in southern Kansas.  They are all pretty close to us.

This morning, although I slept through it (which is very rare for me and even more surprising considering that I hardly slept at all last night due to my allergies), we had t-storms.  Bad ones.  They were intense, according to Bill and were possibly tornadic northeast of here.  But then the storms crossed over into Arkansas, north of where we were yesterday, and did turn tornadic.  There are deaths and a lot of destruction.  Prayers would probably help.

Otter and I have been running all over the place today, we had today set aside as our shop-till-we-drop day, and we just about did.  Everywhere we went was very crowded, we went to one thrift store and a couple of antique/junk stores.  We went to the post office and also to Wallyworld for a few grocery items since I had a bunch of coupons that were expiring today.

Tonight, we're going to have our traditional tamales & chili.  I am going to open a can of chili this time, I usually make my own but I'm just too tired to stand in front of the stove and my feet are also killing me.  Then I think we'll probably open the champagne early, we almost never make it to midnight.  Although Otter thinks she might try to stay up.  There are not a lot of midnight fireworks in this area, it's generally a little too cold.  Occasionally, there will be some but not usually.

And it's going to be really cold tonight.  We have a cold front on the way in and the temperature has already started dropping.  I think it's supposed to get to 18 tonight.  Bill brought in a whole bunch of firewood earlier and I filled up my bird feeders, the dogs will probably be camped out in front of the fireplace and that is the extent of our New Year's Eve celebrations.

In case I don't manage to get something posted tomorrow evening, when we turn the computers on after sunset:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We worked at Kid1s firework stand from 1pm to 10pm. They sold almost everything they had to sell. Then we came home and had our shrimp, salmon, and special cheese and crackers. So we did make it up to midnight for once. Froggy