Friday, July 03, 2009

No Longer Bamboozled! And June Books

First things first:

1. A Good Dog, the Story of Orson who Changed My Life by Jon Katz. This one is a little sad, so be warned! I've read other books by this author and they are very good.

2. The Christmas Letters by Lee Smith. This one was interesting, it's written as if it's letters and post cards between family members.

3. Life is Good, Lessons in Joyful Living by Trixie Koontz, a dog and Dean Koontz. Life lessons from a labrador! Really fun.

4. Grasses & Bamboos, a Practical Guide by Ian Cooke. Not too much in the way of a practical guide!

5. Hamster Care. General info and a lot we already knew, but we did learn a little bit.

6. The Shack by someone whose name I forgot. This one is controversial and I see why. There were some things I didn't really agree with but it also had some things that I thought were good.

7. Quintons by Maeve Binchy. Rerun, always good.

8. Between Good and Evil, a Master Profiler's Hunt for Society's Most Violent Predators by Roger L. Depue with Susan Schindehette. Good, but could have been much better. But maybe that's not fair, I tend to compare true crime books to anything written by Ann Rule and she's pretty much the best there is. But I did enjoy this one.

9. The Joker's Last Laugh. Batman comics. What more can you ask for? :)

10. So Simple Crochet by Melody Griffiths.

11. Say it With Stitches, Embroidery Designs by Sharon & Kristin Jancowicz.

12. South Park Guide to Life.

13. The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. The movie was ok, the book was pretty good.

14. XMen 3, Making of the Movie.

The bamboo is gone! The fence is finished! We have privacy! And we didn't have to put up the fence ourselves. Bill dug up all the bamboo, some of it is planted in 3 pots on the deck but most of it is pulled, dead and tossed. As an experiment, it was working. But I'm glad that we don't have to deal with it anymore. The fence was finished in about 5 days. Bill pulled the chain link up and took out the posts. Then he used the gate to block the one side where there was a 4' gap so the poochies can't get out.

And now, I'm going to concentrate on slowing down again. It's been a whirlwind few weeks. We have had a lot of company and enjoyed all of it, but we're tired! Of course, we ran all over the place today so that might have something to do with it.

Bill took my rain barrel down today so we could clean it. The water was suddenly green. I painted it a couple of weeks ago, to keep the sunlight from allowing mildew/mold to grow, but it was too late. So Bill took it down today and I cleaned it out. Then he removed the paint, at least what was left after the cleaning. We bought some special paint for it and it's now been repainted. Green! But hopefully the water won't be. However, it might not have any water in it for a while. We need a good rain.

Movie review: Monsters vs. Aliens. We saw it today at the dollar theater. It was pretty good, very funny and we really enjoyed it. But it was also short so we're glad we saw it at the cheapo theater. But it was a good movie.

Frasier is demanding my undivided attention now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with time to slow down, but I have a huge amount of housework to catch up on. First we had the water leak, then hubby fixing it and then I left for otter moms house and then back to Houston for a few days and now back home, with 2 extra people visiting for a few day. Needless to say there was not a lot of cleaning done while I was gone. So this week is catchup week. Froggy.