Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Waterlogged

Today, it did not rain.  Yesterday, it did.  Sunday, it rained.  Saturday, it rained, Friday... get the picture?

We're no longer in the beginning stages of a drought.  We've more than made up for any lack of rain last year.  The problem is that we seem to be getting it all at once!  It has nowhere to go, the water just keeps coming down and is causing some major flooding in parts of the state.  Also in Arkansas and I think Missouri and Kansas, as well.  We did need rain.  Just not all at once.  A nice, slow rain would have been good.  So that the ground would have time to absorb it and not get over-saturated.

More rain is forecast tonight and probably tomorrow.  I'm not sure about Thursday.

We're back in jackets, it's been cool and of course wet.

Otter isn't feeling too good at the moment.  She was having what we hoped were "just" allergy issues last night.  She took a benadryl and went to bed early, with a slight sore throat and lots of congestion.  She got up this morning with a very sore throat and more congestion.  And fever.  So, back to bed she went.  I took her temperature a couple of times during the morning, when it got to over 100 it was time to call the doctor.  I took her in this afternoon, the doctor does not suspect strep this time (I quizzed her about that, to be sure), but took a throat swab for a culture just to be on the safe side.  The rapid test came back negative, but then so did the one in December.  When it was strep after all.  After we got home from the doctor, Otter took a looooooooooooooooong shower and then I made chicken noodle soup for dinner.  Both seem to have helped her, but she still doesn't feel good.  Just better.  The doctor gave her an excuse for today and also for tomorrow, which is probably for the best.

Since I was home with her today, I got a lot done. Among other things, I made stew & rice (for the freezer for Billyboy's lunches), I made Beanie Weenie Surprise (also for the freezer for lunches), did laundry, cleaned the kitchen, watered plants, swept and started a crochet project which I'm nearly through with.  I'm tired!  I also had to deal with two over-affectionate dogsters.  They like to help, Maggie especially was fascinated with the broom while I was sweeping the kitchen.  Don't know what the attraction was, she's seen it before.  Frasier isn't interested in helping with housework, but he does like to sit and watch me crochet.  No idea why!  Although it might have something to do with his addiction to taking things outside that he doesn't think belong inside.  He has taken a yarn ball out before.

Th-th-th-that's all, fffolks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have not had rain in months. We are in extreme drought and wild fire danger. Wish we could have a slow ground soaking rain. Sorry otter is feeling bad. When does the other strep test come back? Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I think the 2nd strep test results should come back today (Thursday).