Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Growing Our Own!

Mosquitos.  We had homegrown ones.  We've been finding them in the house.  Several, and we couldn't figure out how they were getting in.  Some will come in with the dogs and through the dog door.  But 3 or 4 a day was too many for that.  Yesterday, I found where they were coming from.  We had a mosquito farm in one of the two glasses we're rooting honeysuckle in, the glasses are in the kitchen window.  I only saw wrigglers in one of the glasses, but I dumped both out.  I rinsed the plants off and refilled the glasses.  It was water from the rain barrel and I checked it very carefully.  I usually leave the watering can about 1/2 full and there have never been any wrigglers in it.  I'm going to keep a much closer eye on the rooting glasses, as well as the watering can.  I'm not sure why the were incubating in the glasses but not the can since they were both water from the rain barrel and the barrel has mosquito dunks.
 
We've had so much rain lately that there is a pretty big problem with mosquitos in the Tulsa area.  It rained again yesterday, the rain gauge had about 1 3/4" this morning but some of that was yesterday's rain and then we got a lot of rain overnight.  I dumped out before I headed off to work this morning, but we've had rain off and on all day so I'm sure it's got measurable rain in it again.  I just haven't gotten out there to check it again.
 
Bill put in a new ceiling fan in the bedroom a few weeks ago.  It worked but then it started rattling.  Same as the last one we had.  He finally figured out that it was part of the assembly inside the ceiling itself that holds the fan in place.  The old fan was bad, it did need to be replaced.  The new one was actually used when we got it, but it was in good shape.  Bill bought a hanging pole, but he had to get it cut down because the smallest he could find was something like 8" and it needed to be a little smaller.  Unless we wanted the fan just a few inches over us, as it's over the bed.  Since we don't have any desire to be cut up by blades just by sitting up, he needed to get the hanging pole cut down considerably.  He put the fan on the pole and hung it back up this afternoon, it made the difference.  Now we have a working ceiling fan in the bedroom.  We still will use the stand fan at night, we like a lot of air circulating.  Also, the stand fan creates white noise which I'm always thankful for because sometimes Bill snores!  Like a rhinoceros.
 
Froggy, I mailed your stuff to you yesterday.  I think you will probably get it tomorrow but it might be Thursday.  Cut it open carefully, I fact the best thing is to just barely cut through the tape on the top.  It's closely packed.  Everything is inside of the quilted tote bag, which you already know about.  You've seen the frog cap already, but there is something else in the box that is fun.  Or at least it was fun for me to make!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

got the box, love it all, except maybe the "fun" item. Which was a turtle! We all know what I think about turtles. I will get you back, when you least expect it.
Froggy