Thursday, August 29, 2013

Runn Oft

Anybody who has seen the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou" will recognize the title!  I feel like my feet have been "runn oft" and like I've been "runn oft"ing all day long.

Bill had his surgical procedure today at the dermatologist's office.  And, even though I told him last week and he acknowledged it, the doctor apparently forgot (and didn't take me seriously today.  At first.) about the RedHead Curse.  But he (the doctor) learned his lesson quickly - at one point, there were 5, FIVE, people in the room holding gauze on Bill's face in an attempt to get him to stop bleeding.  The thing is, he really wasn't bleeding excessively - for a Redhead, that is.  Which means he was really bleeding a lot for an average person, but we're very much above average when it comes to that.  When the doctor first realized that Bill was bleeding more than he expected, he had someone come in and take his blood pressure in case it was elevated and that was causing the excessive (non-redhead excessive) bleeding but his pressure was only slightly elevated and that was probably because he was being sliced & diced!

It took a little over an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half.  The doctor took the rest of the skin cancer off/out and then he took a little extra skin from the area between Bill's eyebrows and made a patch/graft on the top of the bridge of Bill's nose.  He's got multiple stitches and he's pretty swollen in spots.  He's not really bleeding still, but one spot is just barely oozing blood occasionally but it's right at his eye and it occasionally runs into his eye which makes it look like his eye is bleeding.  Which freaked Otter out in a major way!  She's seen too many horror movies. :)  We're calling him Frankenwillie.  He goes back next Friday to get the stitches removed.
 
Bill can't do any heavy work or lift anything over 20 pounds for two weeks.  He can't bend down at all for 72 hours and he has to stay upright for 72 hours as well.  He says he's sleeping on the couch, since that way he is less likely to lie flat.  He's taking lortab for pain, which is the same thing that Otter is allergic to but I think her allergy to it came from my side of the family.  Bill's taken it before without a problem.  He doesn't like to take pain pills, or pills of any kind, so the fact that he is taking them willingly means that he's really hurting.  Bill is off work until Tuesday, the doctor wants him to stay home tomorrow and then Monday is a holiday.
 
I've been running all day long, as I mentioned.  When we were on the way home from the doctor's office, an indicator came on in the car for low oil pressure.  I was going to get the oil changed next week, but we thought that I'd better get that taken care of today since it's never had that light come on before.  I brought Bill home, he just wanted to be left alone to rest so Otter and I went back to the Chevy place for the oil change and I also got them to replace the headlight that went out yesterday since it's not something Bill can do at the moment.  After we got home, Bill decided he needed the pain pills so I ran to Walgreen's and got the prescription filled.  He was ready for lunch at that point, so I made him a sandwich and then I remembered I needed to go to the post office and Otter wanted to go to the library.  We get home from that trip and by then Bill had realized that he couldn't wear his glasses at all so he sent me to the dollar store to get a magnifying glass so he could at least read his email.  Otter went with me and we also stopped at Wallyworld for the few grocery items I needed.  It seems like there was another errand in there somewhere, but I can't remember.  I just feel like I've been in the car all day long!

Otter will be home with Bill in the morning.  I'm going in to work but I am planning on coming home at lunch to check on him.  Otter's going to one of her friend's houses in the afternoon so I'll come home and see how he's doing.  After work, I'll come home to pick Otter up and then we're going to get our flu shots - or at least that is the plan, it is subject to change depending on Bill but I don't foresee having to put the shots off.  After we get the shots, we're going to go pick up fajitas to bring home.  Then, I'll spend at least Friday evening and probably Saturday feeling rotten and taking it easy because of my standard flu shot reaction.  Bill won't be up to doing anything or going anywhere anyway.  Otter has to work Saturday and will probably work Sunday as well, but we're just planning a low-key weekend.  I stocked up on library books myself, so I'm set for the weekend.  We finished putting the trellises up yesterday, we went to Lowe's and got the lattice so that project is done until I plant the honeysuckle.

No comments: