Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Alright, Already!

OK, Froggy.  You nagged me.  I'm blogging.  Happy?

Of course, the reason I wasn't blogging was because I was too busy.  I was working on something crochet, and it was for you.  But if you'd rather I blog instead of working on your stuff...


Ok, on to other things now that I've ragged Froggy!  (She deserves it, by the way.)
 
Last weekend was the Sales Tax Holiday.  Well, I found pretty much everything I was looking for.  I went to the Wallyworld by the mall and the mall parking lot looked like it was overflowing.  Wally was pretty crowded, but I was able to find nearly everything on my list there.  Bill wanted 3 pairs of jeans, I found two there so I decided to hit the Wallyworld by home.  I still needed to get stuff like milk, things that I didn't want to curdle by the time I fought traffic and got home (it was pretty warm) so I went on to the closer store and I found the rest of what I wanted there:  another pair of jeans for Bill and some socks for Otter.  I think we probably saved about $8.00 ish in sales tax, give or take, but I'm not complaining.  It's a couple of gallons of milk or a 3-lb. package of ground turkey, but it's still nothing to gripe about.  I used to save a lot more, but that was when I had a school kid and had to get back-to-school clothes.  Most of what I actually bought at the closer store was grocery related anyway.  I had to stop at the liquor store after that, but they weren't participating!
 
The liquor store was interesting - there is a type of tequila that has a REAL scorpion in the bottle.  I don't think that they sell much of it, but it was a good conversation piece.  The clerk and I talked about it and then another customer joined it, none of us would drink the stuff but also none of us would be afraid of a live one.  Although I'm not a fan of them, but that comes from having one run underneath my bare foot one time.  It didn't sting me, but I was in the process of putting my foot on the ground and I'm not sure how I managed to avoid squashing the critter and getting stung in the process.  The other part of the story is that I'm allergic to something in cheap tequila, so when I do drink it (which is rare) I have to get the good stuff!  Yes, I know - there's a redneck joke or a country & western song in that.
 
There is another part to the liquor store story.  Bill wanted a case of beer.  Being from TEXAS, he's never been satisfied with the low-point beer that is sold in backOklahomawards.  So, on the rare occasions he drinks beer it's usually bought at the liquor store so he can get the "real stuff."  I carried a case of it out of the store with my left arm, then I got it out of the trunk of the car with my left arm and carried it into the house with my left arm.  And pulled a muscle in my left side!  I'm finally beyond the pain caused by just breathing, but it wasn't fun.  It's probably also a redneck joke or song fodder.
 
Otter went to Tokyo in Tulsa, also known as TNT, over the weekend.  I was going to post pictures of her in cosplay here, but it turned out that her face was too identifiable.  But she had a good time and saw a lot of her friends.  She and 3 of her girlfriends rented a room at a hotel that was part of it and was offering special rates and she ran into several other friends of hers.  Including her boyfriend, he was out of town but got back in time to go for a little while on Sunday.  She left the house Friday morning and we didn't see her again until Sunday evening.  She was tired!  But she had a great time and she's already planning next year's costumes.  She did find the Borg drone hive, they were wandering around and she did tell them that her mom is a big fan - they said she should have a "Hi Mom" picture taken but they got sidetracked.  Besides, they'd have just followed her home if she told them the truth - that I'm not just a fan.  I'm their Queen!  And Otter is very much a Borg Queen in training - something she's finally decided to accept.  She's embracing her Borg-ness and she's obviously strong enough to carry the mantle.

Resistance is Futile, after all.  (Y'all, since the Borg Queen is a TEXAN,)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

about time you blogged. You should be spending the rest of the time making my surprise. Glad Otter had a good time this weekend. Bet it was quiet around your house this weekend Froggy