Sunday, November 08, 2009

Our Day

We finally made it to the zoo! We've been planning a trip for weeks, but there has been something come up every time. Things like a rock garden rebuild, weather, etc. But we finally got there today.
Everytime we tried to take a picture of the heffalumps, they would turn away from us. When the camera wasn't aimed their way, they would at least look in our direction. Even when the camera was off, if it was aimed their direction they would present their faces. But as soon as it was turned on, they moved or mooned us.



Froggy, this one is especially for you! Isn't it lovely?




One very tall giraffe! He's been alone for a while, the female died several months back and he's been lonely. Apparently, giraffes are very social creatures. Well, his days of enforced bachelorhood are coming to an end. We've got girls! There were two females available, and Tulsa Zoo got them. One has already arrived and the second one should be here sometime this month. Then maybe there will be a population explosion, that is the hope once his harem is in place. Bill thinks that this is one very lucky guy!



It's been a busy year at the zoo, lots of babies! This was the first time we got to see the two new lions. They were born this year. They are about 6 months old, I guess. And bigger than Frasier! Just as lazy as their parents, by the looks of things. When we saw them again, a few minutes after this picture, they were both snoozing.


I don't think we've ever actuall seen the tigers doing anything else besides sleep. They seem to like their platform for naps.


The prairie dogs were busy, well one of them was! The last time we were there, the exhibit was closed. All the dirt had been removed because there had been an invasion of rats and they were trying to get rid of them. I guess they did, since the dogs are back in place.


The otters were not anywhere to be seen, we think that they were probably inside their den. But my otter was visible!

This little guy was snoozing, I don't know why but something about him just reminded me of Toadles.


Another one for Froggy!


When I was a kid, Mom would take us to the zoo frequently. And one of the main stops was the reptile house. Her instructions were to get a good look, so we would know what to look for and avoid since we lived in S. Texas. So I did the same thing with Otter. Now, we get into the building where the snakes are and she can hardly wait to go see the rattlers. Just because she likes them. Today, she got a Clara Lesson - what to listen for. I don't know what had this guy so riled up, but he was not happy! And you could hear his displeasure all over the building. He was in striking position, and he stayed that way for a long time. The picture is a little blurry, he wasn't still. But he was beautiful!

Bill always tells me that prickly pears won't grow in NE OK. This one's been there for years, and it seems to be doing fine. It might not show up in the picture, but it was blooming. I would love to plant mine outside, but I have another problem besides the freezing temperatures we get - dogs! I just don't think that they would be able to stay away from it, at least not one super curious beagle I know of. So I think that maybe my pear will stay in the planter I have it in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good pictures, not crazy about the turtle or the snake. we saw a snake in our backyard last week. It was about 10 inches, all brown, moved sideways, kind of looked like a worm, but it was a snake. What kind does it sound like? We left it alone. It was under a garbage can, we put the can back over it.
I really need a zoo trip, maybe over Christmas break I can convince someone to go with me. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Well, there was another photo opportunity involving the tortoises. But Otter didn't want to take a picture. It probably would have raised to rating on my blog to X or at least R!

Froggy, you do realize that there is a species of rattle that moves sideways, don't you?