Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Accidents


No, not the bad kind!

This kind:


A web board I'm on had a discussion thread about accidental collections.  You know, where you don't realize you have a collection of something until you are suddenly buried in the item.  I realized Friday that I have one, and it's armadillos.

Bill and I went to a yard sale, as I've already mentioned, and he bought a pachinko machine.  I got another stuffed armadillo.  I realized yesterday that I have an Accidental Collection of 'dillos.  They aren't all stuffed, I have a few brass ones and at least one ceramic one.  And I think a couple more, although I can't really remember at the moment.  With more to come, I'm sure!

Texans like armadillos.  We seem to have odd animals, including scorpions, coyotes, armadillos, rattlesnakes and a few other oddities.

Including chupacabras!  Here's my chupa:



This picture is from a couple of years ago.  But he's still big & furry.  And spoiled rotten!  (So's Maggie.)

Otter didn't see the Batman car on Friday.  She had a good time, although she said that she was very tired from all the walking they did.

Movie review:  Chronicle.  Don't bother.

I'm warm today.  I was very warm yesterday and at one point I gave in and took a nice, cool shower.  Which did help, actually.  I might have to take another cool shower very soon, although this particular warm spell is just starting and I think I'm in for a hot couple of hours.  When your husband puts an ice cube on you and you don't even have time to realize it because it's melted already...

We went to church this morning and it was cold in the sanctuary, as usual.  This time, I didn't mind at all!

Otter and I ran a couple of errands and one of our stops was the dollar store.  We found all sorts of things there that we just had to have.  Including what I think is a new version of one of the only shampoos I can use due to my allergies.  White Rain has always had a fairly low-scent, clear shampoo that we've used for years.  At some point in the last couple of years, they came out with a scented line and Otter's able to use it but I can't.  Recently, it's been harder and harder to find the one I use.  I emailed the company and they did respond, but it wasn't really what I asked them.  What I did find out is that they have discontinued the one I use.  So, I bought as much of it as I could find and also the conditioner that goes with it because it was also discontinued.  I tried a couple things, and have been using baby shampoo lately.  Which works, but not that well because it's not really made for long hair.  Which I have.  And I still needed to use conditioner, although baby shampoo is supposed to not need to be followed with it - well, I guess if you have short hair or are a baby you might not need it!  Last week, I discovered that White Rain has a new product that is almost the same one I've used for years.  It does have a little bit more scent than the previous one, but I tried it and it seems to be working.  It doesn't seem to trigger Bill's few allergies, which a lot of scented things including shampoo can do.  And the dollar store carries it, so I grabbed a couple of bottles while we were there.  I'm going to stock up a bit on it, in case they discontinue this one!

Otter's changed her summer college plans a bit.  She's still going.  But she's put off the math and is taking two classes instead of one.  She's got two weeks left of freedom, then she has two months of two days a week classes.  The school is closed on Fridays during the summer.  Her classes are on Monday and Wednesday.  She'll take the first math class in the fall semester and the second one in the spring semester.  Along with her foreign language class, which is probably going to be Japanese.

I took a quick picture of the bird nest in the planter on the front porch.  I used my cell phone, so I can't post it here.  But we discovered that there are 4 eggs.  Four more little bug eaters!  Mama bird is not leaving the nest the second we come out the door, she is waiting until we are almost to the planter before she flies off and she's not going as far.  She seems to realize that we aren't a threat.

OK, back to my ice water now!

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

The dollar stores are getting some neat stuff lately! I found quite a few items in the health aisle, and I now get my bread there.

Moat shampoo makes my scalp break-out, so I guess I'm allergic, or at least chemically sensitive. I've been using homemade soaps on my hair for years. One is a herbal organic Indian soap and the other is organic African black soap(shea butter). Both are perfect for my fine curly hair.

I'm glad you found your shampoo again. We use White Rain for the kiddos.