Thursday, May 31, 2012

Stuff that is on my mind on a Thursday

Just rambles, mostly.

Froggy, we did get rain & thunderstorms in the night.  However, I slept right through them!  I almost never do, but I have slept through two out of the last three.  I guess I must have been more tired than I thought last night.  We got just under an inch of rain.  The wind was pretty bad, according to the news.  But since our tree limbs have already come down, at least in the one tree, we didn't have any issues with limbs.  But I think a lot of people did.  We haven't had a pool for a few years, we did consider replacing the one we had for many years but decided that they were too expensive for what they are and we bought a new blu-ray player instead.  I realized yesterday that if we had bought another pool, we wouldn't have it any longer - because the only place we could ever put one would be right where the tree came apart a few weeks back.

After I got home, I ran Otter to the college bookstore so she could get the books she needs for the classes she starts on Monday.  Even used, it was close to $200.00.  Ouch!  She's been having some allergy issues today, Bill had the house open most of the day and it didn't occur to either one of them that there might be a connection.  OK, so they were both clueless about it.  The only one who would have realized it (me) was not home.  After we left the campus, Otter told me that she was getting a headache and was probably going to take some tylenol.  I suggested she consider allergy meds tonight, but apparently she ran out of it days ago - and didn't remember to tell me!  So, we stopped at Wallyworld and got her some more.  And I made her promise me that she won't wait until she's completely out to tell me that she needs it.

On the way home, we drove by one of our favorite places.  It's a miniature horse farm!  Lots and lots of little horses running around, and this time of year it always has a lot of people driving bay.  There are babies!  The are so tiny, they look like little stuffed animals running around.  Really cute, and it always reduces us into a puddle of girlsyqueal.  Bill's learned to just deal with it, he expects us to "girl out" whenever we drive by the ponies.  Today was no exception, except that it was just us girls as Billyboy stayed home when we were running our errands.  But how could anybody resist?  It's a foal that is not much bigger than the beagle!

Otter commented today that she realizes her Texan accent has come back stronger in the last few weeks.  Probably because she has spent a lot of time at home with the parental units.  I realized that a) she's right and that b) the way I talk at work is 100% different from the way I talk at home in real life.  Real life being TEXAN!  I hadn't realized that I was making the adjustment, but no longer!  I'm TEXAN and proud of it, and my way of speaking/accent is going to reflect that fact.  Otter says she's been working on HP for a while, trying to get him over his (gasp!) yankee ways.  I guess Pennsylvania counts as yankee?  Actually, he talks pretty much like most people around here with the occasional non-local moment.  But Texan women are very strong-willed, and sometimes non-Texans can't cope with our uniqueness.  I think HP does cope, I'm not complaining about him - I like him, actually.  I'm just making an observance about TEXAN and non-Texan.  And the fact that I'm not hiding my accent anymore!  Not that a) I was ever hiding it or b) we don't have an accent but everyone else does.

Strange sight on the trellis today.  I was outside watching the dogs - who have been going crazy with mole hunting lately.  I saw this strange bug land on the trellis, it was not at all afraid of me and I got pretty close to it.  Like I had my face right up to it.  It was carrying a fly, and it proceeded to suck the innards out of the fly.  I thought it looked a little like a dragonfly, but not quite.  I did some research, and it was a juvinile dragonfly.  Needless to say, it is a very welcome bug!  I knew that they ate mosquitos but not that they eat flies.  Apparently, they are pretty carnivorus little beasties and they eat all sorts of other bugs.  Including bees.

The baby birds in the front planter are getting past the bug-eyed alien stage.  There are four after all, Otter got a good picture today.  They are rapidly loosing the fluff and the real feathers are starting to come in.  They will probably be fledging in a few days.  Until then, they are welcome to stay on the porch.  Mama is one busy little bird!

No sign of hummingbirds yet.  They should be here soon.  Hopefully, very soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put this comment in yesterday and then it came up with did I want to start my own blog. Blogger was being weird.

I have not put up my hummer feeders because we are moving. I think that I will put them out now. One of the things that attracted our buyer was the birds in the yard. He said that he had not seen birds at any other house. And people (my family) said that feeding birds was a waste of money. HA shows what they know. Interesting about the dragonflies. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Feeding birds is never a waste of money! If nothing else, they eat more than their weight in bugs on a daily basis. Besides, they are just nice to listen to and pretty to look at.