Friday, April 26, 2013

I Forfeit This Round

The allergies won today.  I gave in and accepted defeat, which means that I didn't go to work today.  Instead, I stayed home and attempted to cope with a sinus headache, stuffy nose, sneezing and coughing - you get the picture!

Froggy, I'm answering your question from the comment on the last blog post.  Corn on the cob:  cook it as usual, then you take a very sharp knife & cut the kernels off as close to the cob as you can.  Butter, salt, whatever you normally use.  It still tastes the same, even if you do have to eat it with a fork!  But it's kind of hard to hold up when you cut the kernels off - I usually still use a corn sticker (as mom called the holders) to hold it up on one end and then I cut downward.  I can eat a lot of things with dentures, corn on the cob is not one of them.  Neither is apples, they have to be peeled & cut into slices for me to eat them.

Since I was home today, I got my laundry done.  I'll still have some on Sunday, but the laundry basket is at least empty at the moment.  Not for long, I'm sure.  I also did some crochet on Nana's lap blanket and I'm thinking I might be able to finish it tomorrow.  Not much on tv during the daytime, but I did watch Steel Magnolias which I haven't seen in many years.  Mostly, I just took it easy.

The dogs mostly just took it easy as well!  But they usually do...

It's been rainy most of today.  I think I forgot to mention this, but my rain barrel is temporarily out of commission.  The wooden frame Bill build to hold it up was apparently not pressure-treated wood and it kind of disintegrated, causing the barrel to pull away from the down spout.  The frame needs to be rebuilt, Bill's going to use pressure-treated wood this time, but I'm not sure when he's going to actually have time to work on it.  He's got two pachinko machines in the process of refurbishment and he's at a point where he can't really stop for long.  The rain barrel needed to be drained and cleaned out anyway, we hadn't done that yet this year and then it started raining so it hasn't had it's annual cleaning.

Mama Robin is still on her nest.  I don't think that the eggs have hatched yet, but it should be soon.  She's there too much to have hungry babies, I think she's still sitting on her eggs.

Bill's turn to pick the movie on Saturday.  He wanted to see The Day The Earth Stood Still.  Not the original version, the one from a couple of years ago.  The one with the block of wood that pretends to be an actor!  (Not just my opinion, either.)  We saw a few minutes of it on tv the other day and it does look interesting, but mostly because the robot looked so cool.  I have serious reservations any time any of the classics are redone, but I'm going to have an open mind about it.  But the original is one of the best vintage sci-fi movies ever made.  One of the best, period.  So, we'll see.  I'm not too hopeful, but maybe I'll be surprised and it will actually be good.

On that note, I'm going to go find the bottle of wine that Otter and I bought the other day.  She went into the liquor store with me, since she's 21 now.  They did not card her, but I think it's because they know me and at least one of the clerks was the one who waited on me when I bought the champagne for the 21st birthday and we talked about the reason I was buying it then.  I think she'll be carded if she goes in by herself or if it's a different clerk, she doesn't quite look 16 any longer but she still doesn't look 21!

No comments: