Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Twenty First and Stuff

Twenty First:  Otter's 21!  Her birthday was actually on Sunday, but that was Easter and I didn't want to do another post aside from my Easter one.  I was going to post something yesterday, but I was too busy. 

Otter's birthday was firmly celebrated, I'm the last person in the world to let a birthday be overshadowed by a holiday!  Both the holiday and the birthday are observed, I'm just not going to let the birthday be ignored.  Let's just say that I've Been There, Done That (or had it done to me) and leave it at that.  We went to the early service at Church and it was nice.  Lots of music, which I always love.  In the afternoon, the weather was absolutely perfect over the weekend, Bill got the grill out and cooked the burgers and hot dogs as Otter requested.  We also had birthday cake, and it was well worth the $$ at the well-known bakery.  I'm not posting a picture because the only ones I have show her name, but it was a three layer round cake, the icing was a pretty pale green color and it was decorated on the sides with tulips in pinks and purples like they were growing up the side.  The candles (she picked out at her store) were "21" and then letters that spell out her name - her "real" name, not Otter!  Although we call her Otter just as much as we call her by her "real" name.  Grandpa and Sweetie came over and we had a nice visit.  And ate too much!

She also had one other request.  Because she is 21 now, she is of legal drinking age.  We've always made it a point to try to take the mystery out of alchohol, she's had the occasional taste of wine, etc. over the years and she's paid attention to our talks and examples.  As a result, she's not inclined to want to go drink herself into oblivion, which so many younger people do.  So when she asked for champagne, we didn't have any problem at all with buying a bottle.  I got a smaller sized bottle at the liquor store last week, and Otter had about a half a glass Sunday evening.  She liked it, but she said that she doesn't think she's going to make a regular thing out of drinking.  That message/lesson has obviously been well received by her.

Stuff:  Among other things yesterday, I needed to go to Hobby Lobby and I know better than to go without Otter.  So, after I picked her up, we went to Hobby Lobby and a few other places.  Otter's camera died recently, she thought it was just the battery reaching the limits of it's recharging but then discovered that the camera wouldn't work at all, even when plugged in.  So we went to Best Buy after Hobby Lobby and she found a new one that she likes.  Of course, they didn't have it in-store and had to order it but it should be here in a few days.  The old camera was her gift from us on her 18th birthday and it has had a lot of use.  We also had to go back to Teavana, because they missed putting something we bought in the bag when we got her tea set.

By the time we got home and had dinner plus got a bunch of stuff done around that house that needed to be done, I was just too tired to even think about blogging.

There has been a lot on the news the last few days regarding a dentist in Tulsa.  Specifically, unsafe & unsanitary practices have resulted in several thousand people potentially being exposed to HIV and the two bad strains of hepatitis.  For the record, we think he should be jailed, at the very least.  Also, he is NOT a dentist/oral surgeon that we have ever seen.  His office is down the street from the dentist we currently use and he might be the one that she said was taking her emergency calls when I lost my crown a year or so back but I was able to wait until she got back so I never saw him.

It's cold.  It's rainy.  It's supposed to be Spring!  Where did that groundhog get to, I need a new pair of houseshoes and his fur should be nice & warm.  Probably soft, too.

No comments: