Monday, February 23, 2015

Light. Not Supposed to be Heavy. Heavy Stuff is Probably Going to Miss Us.

They were not even close!  It wasn't light.  It was heavy.  The heavy stuff hit us head on.

I took these this afternoon:



The footprints are Bill's, his/Otter's car is parked behind the White Lightning.  Look at the street and the end of the driveway to get an idea how deep this stuff actually is.


Standing on my front porch for this picture.


Also taken from my front porch.



This was taken on the back deck up near the door, where the snow was blown by the wind and doesn't look like the rest of the yard.  The focus of this picture is actually the bird tracks.  They were all over the deck.


And the back yard!  There were a whole lot more before I took the picture, they left right before I got this and then they all came back after I took the picture.


The back yard, taken from the back door.


More little birdies!  At one point, a dove came in for a landing and it stayed for a long time.  There was also a female cardinal, but she left as soon as the male showed up because he was interested in her but she was just looking for a meal.  Several chickadees, two kinds of sparrows and quite a few starlings.

This morning, I refilled my two feeders and took them out to the back yard.  I dropped one of them as I was hanging it, about 3/4 of the seed spilled on the ground but the birds don't really care where it is as long as they can eat it.  After I came back inside, I looked out and the yard was suddenly covered in lots and lots of little birdies! They were going after the spilled seed.

It was pretty cold this morning, but not snowing at that point.  The snow was expected but it just hadn't hit us yet.  I headed on to work but then I remembered that I forgot to go to the gas station on Saturday when Otter and I were running around before I took her to J's house.  Then yesterday I just had a couple of close errands and I forgot about it again.  This morning, I was nearly to work when I remembered and I thought I'd just get it after work.  Then I thought about it again (and heard a weather report) so I stopped to fill up the car right away.  And nearly froze!  It was very cold and it had gotten pretty windy.  But I'm really glad I remembered when I did.  Because it started snowing about an hour after I got to work.

I parked in the garage at work today.  About 12:30, I realized that the roads were getting bad so I decided to leave at that point.  And that's when I discovered that the very steep driveway was snow covered.  And icy!  I literally slid down the entire thing and had pretty much no control over the car, speed OR direction.  I'm just glad that nobody was coming down the street, but I did finally manage to get the car stopped.  The street was very bad, but once I got out of the neighborhood my office is in, the main street looked ok.  It was ok and then it was not ok, then ok again, then not ok, etc.  I had to go to the post office and the street it's on was terrible.  So was their parking lot.  I also stopped at the UPS place to check the box.  Their parking lot was not too good.  Both places were on the way home, otherwise I would have skipped both of them.  By the time I got home, our neighborhood street was pretty bad.  And slick.  I put my car in the driveway and it's not going anywhere until tomorrow morning, and that might not be early.

The dogs were happy I got home early, they came in and immediately started a game of dog war.  Then they both more or less collapsed in a furry heap and went to sleep.  I think they have the right idea.

One more thing:


Because, after all, # 4 is the REAL Doctor!

No comments: