Sunday, February 01, 2015

Snakes in Drains and Beagles in Blankets

Monday evening, we moved pachinko machines out of the way of the attic access ladder so Bill could get situated for the internet provider switch.  The switch happened on Wednesday.  The machines were not moved back yet, Otter has a few boxes that are going to be put up in the attic.  She went through 4 of them Friday and still has about that many left.  She'll get to them this week, probably early in the week.
 
Thursday morning, as I was about to get in the car and leave for work I noticed something.  Water where it shouldn't have been.  Underneath the garage door, like it had flowed from somewhere INSIDE the garage.  There is only one place in the garage it could have come from and the last time that happened was just over a year ago when the water heater failed.  I ran back inside, dropped my purse and everything in the living room floor, frightened both dogs by running out into the garage from the kitchen door and sure enough, there was water and it had come from the closet the water heater is in.  But it wasn't from the water heater.  The drain that the ac condensation drains into - which is also the main drain from the kitchen - wasn't draining.  It looked like it was clogged up again, it happened a couple of years back.  I called Bill (he was at work already) and since the water was not running out any longer (because the dishwasher was through by this point), he said it could wait until he got home to unclog it.  And then he asked me to move the remaining machines out of the way, and to put a few towels down.
 
I got the machines moved, which took me a while, but I had to leave three in place.  They were on "feet" so they weren't sitting directly in the wet areas, but I spent a lot of time wiping down the bottoms of the other machines and putting them on towels.  I got to work about 9:00!
 
Bill was able to take off at noon, so he came home and got the plumber's snake he bought when the drain stopped up the last time.  He eventually got it unstuck, but he was actually afraid that we were dealing with a collapsed pipe at one point - which would have been a big, major deal since we're on a solid foundation and it would have been very expensive.  The drain did unclog, he thinks it might have been a combination of things but the disposal has been acting up anyway so we aren't using it.  We can use the sink and the drain, just not the disposal itself.
 
While ago, Maggie and Frasier came in from playing out in the back yard.  Maggie Moo went to her blankets and I covered her up.  She took a nap.  Well, she takes a lot of naps!  Anyway, when she decided it was time to get up and give Frasier a hard time - she couldn't find her way out of the blanket!  She turned around two or three times and got really twisted up in it.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe!  She managed to stagger/crawl/slither across the living room floor in my direction and somehow, she found an opening in her blankie.  She still dragged the blanket most of the way across the living room.  She more or less got in Frasier's way for a minute, then she came right over to me.  And got underneath the blanket I'm using!  Goofy dog.
 
I have been busy in the craft/guest/yarn room today.  Otter's stack of boxes is about to be out of there, as I mentioned she went through 4 when she was here Friday to do her laundry.  I moved them into the opposite corner so we/she knows which boxes she's checked already.  She has three more of those boxes and two paper container boxes but they are probably just open/look in/shut boxes and will join the stack of three that are waiting on them.  Bill's going to put them all in the attic, but they will be wrapped in plastic trash bags first because there are a lot of paper type things in them and we don't want rodents.  I moved my yarn drawers to a different wall and now there is plenty of room for a pull-out couch, which is what we will probably go with for a guest bed.  We talked about a trundle bed, but they are basically twin beds and we don't want anything quite that big.  We want the option of sitting space, and a pull-out couch will take care of both needs.
 
I found a metal filing cabinet at a thrift store yesterday.  It was the store I saw one at a couple of weeks ago, but it's not the same cabinet.  It's actually a better one, it's legal sized so it's longer and it is more sturdy.  The one I saw before looked like it might have been banged up a bit so I passed on it.  Otter was off yesterday and she wanted to go to the Tulsa Flea Market, then after we looked there we decided to go to a thrift store.  I found another doily and then we looked through their furniture, and they had another cabinet so I bought it.  When we were waiting for they stock guy with his dolly to get the cabinet for me, the sales clerk told me it was on sale.  So, instead of the $9.99 which I was willing to pay I actually got it for $6.49.  Not complaining a big!  It just barely fit in the back seat of my car, I knew it would fit but the stock guy wasn't too sure.  I gave him a couple of bucks for hefting the thing into my car.  Bill brought it in this morning and it fits perfectly beside my desk in the craft/guest/yarn room.
 
Which means that I can now use the plastic drawer unit that was there for what I really wanted:  Yarn Storage!  Big surprise, I know.  :)  I took the yarn out of the short, wider drawer and it is now in the 5 drawer unit along with some of the other yarn that has been spread out a bit.  The other 3-drawer unit is now stacked on top of one of the 5-drawer units, I took the wheels off and it fits very well.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the empty 3-drawer unit, but it will probably fit underneath the window where the gone-through boxes are stacked, once they go to the attic sometime this week.  I am thinking that they will probably hold some of the fabric/sewing stuff, or possibly some misc. craft stuff.
 
I'm going to try very hard not to go get more yarn.  Not making any promises, however!
 
Otter and I also went to the yarn store yesterday.  We didn't stay in there very long, my wool allergy make sure of that.  I think that the wool allergy is actually worsening.  I can usually stay in there a little bit longer before the first symptom - itching - starts.  But this time, it hit me almost immedately.  Followed up very quickly by the second symptom - upper respiratory issues.  And after we left, the itching lasted a lot longer than it normally does.  And I didn't even touch any wool!  Of all the things I had to be allergic to, why does it have to be wool?  It was always a strong allergy, but now it's even stronger.  And it is NOT fun!  Especially since my chosen art/gift/tallent is something that is done with yarn.
 
This is getting kind of long, so I think I'm going to post it and see what else I can come up with to do.  Such as laundry, dishes, vacuuming.
 
Or maybe I'll just follow Maggie Moo's lead and sit on the couch with my blanket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know that you will get more yarn, That's like me saying I will not buy any more quilting fabric. Froggy