Friday, March 27, 2015

Broken Glass(es)

My glasses broke yesterday.  It was very strange.  I was sitting down on the couch, watching tv.  (STAR TREK, of course!) and they fell off my face.  In 2 separate pieces!  Shortly before that happened, I'd heard a cracking sound but I was standing in the kitchen at the time and I thought it was something Billyboy was working on out in the garage - he was casting parts.  But apparently what I heard was my glasses breaking.  They broke on the nose piece, but more to the right side and very close to the part that holds the lenses.  It was about 4:15 or so.  Bill was able to glue them together, but it took "super" super glue and about 15 minutes of him holding the 2 pieces in place.  Then he was still not sure it would hold, so he used a small piece of painter's tape.  I was able to put them back on, but I wasn't able to adjust them when they slid or take them off for any reason because they were so fragile.  It was too late to go get another pair, I knew I'd need to get my eyes examined because it's been 2 years.  I wore my now uncomfortable glasses until bedtime, I left them in the bathroom on the counter so that I didn't have to fold them up.  This morning, I got dressed, got my dentures in and brushed my hair all before I put them on - my hair looked like it, too!

The eye doctor we use is in the mall, right next to Lenscrafters.  I called them yesterday and they didn't have any open appointments but they take walk-ins.  They told me that if I could get there early I would have a good chance of being seen and maybe not have to wait too long.  They opened at 10:00 and I got to the mall about 10 minutes before that.  The mall was full of early morning walkers, so I joined them and got a little exercise.  At 9:59, I went upstairs to the eye doctor - the escalators were not turned on yet!  They said they could see me about 10:45, so I walked next door to Lenscrafters and found a pair.  I was back in about 5 minutes and they were able to see me right then, so I didn't have to wait until 10:45.  I did not have to get my eyes dilated.  There is a new procedure where they can take a very detailed photograph of the retina and it does not involve dilation.  I chose that as soon as it was offered.  I had a very detailed exam, my retinas look good and there are no signs of the cataracts growing although I have had a couple of times when I've been aware of the right one because of a slight glare occasionally.  He said that's normal and that if it's grown at all, it's very hard to tell.  My prescription is nearly the same, if the glasses hadn't broken I would have been ok to still wear them.  I went back to Lenscrafters and when I gave the tech my prescription, she said that the glasses might be heavier than I wanted and she suggested I pick a different pair.  I looked around and found another pair that I actually like better, they are metal and are smaller than the ones that broke.  The old ones took several days because they had to be sent off to another lab for a non-glare application.  I asked the doctor about that and he said that if I don't do much night driving I really won't need it.  So I skipped it this time, and my new glasses were ready in a couple of hours.  I went back to work and then picked them up after work.  I can tell a difference in the prescription, but it's not much.

Wednesday's tornado has been rated at an EF2.  It was very high on the scale for a 2, and was nearly a 3.  It was still very bad, but it could have been so much worse.

We have a meeting next week with the associate minster at the church we've been attending.  We have a few questions, mostly since we've been away from the Methodist church for a few years.  We'll still attend there this Sunday.  Sometime after that, and after the meeting, we'll decide.

Now I'm going to park myself on the couch and get a glass of wine in a little while.  I need to rest my eyes and I have a very slight eye-strain headache.

No comments: