Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Don't You Just Hate It When... EDITED

You have to sneeze but can't?  I've had that feeling for about 20 minutes now.

I also have a cold.  I could have done without it.

It hit when I was on the way to work this morning, I started sneezing and pretty much sneezed all the way to work.  I lost count of how many times I sneezed, but it was probably at least around 50 - not exaggerating, either.  I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but after I got to work and started to feel really cruddy I realized that it's probably a cold.  Which really sucks, because there is not an allergy or cold medicine that exists that works on me.  So, I'm having a glass of wine!

Lovely.

When I got home from taking Otter back to her apartment yesterday because Bill had the car, I noticed that "their" car was in the driveway which meant that Bill was home.  Then I noticed that the driver's side front tire was just about flat.  Bill said it felt strange when he was driving home, but he thought that was because there were still some icy patches.  It was probably getting flat then. He got the small air tank he has, filled it up from his compressor and then filled the tire up.  And in the time it took him to walk from the car back into the garage to store the small tank, the tire lost all the air he'd just put in.  I could see bubbles in the small wet area the tire was parked over and after Bill looked at it, he decided it was time to just go buy new tires for it.  We were going to do that when Otter officially becomes the owner anyway, but Bill thought that the tires had a little more life left in them.  Obviously, they didn't.  He took an emergency day off today and went to the tire shop.  He filled the tire up and headed straight up there, he got there just as they were opening - I went to the gas station and then had to drive past the tire shop and he was just parking when I went past.  Anyway, he got the two front tires replaced.  The back ones might need replacing later on, but they are ok.  The front ones were not ok, however.  It also needs a front-end alignment, which we'll get very soon.

I left work about 10:30 or thereabouts, and I picked Otter up at her apartment - I was very careful and did everything I could NOT to expose her to this cold.  We were going to get the car to her tomorrow, Bill was going to head over there after work and then I was going to go pick him up.  But the weather is probably going to be bad again tomorrow (will this winter ever end?) and since I'm not even going to attempt to go in tomorrow, he'll drive my car.  So, Otter got the car today.  When I took her back home yesterday, we stopped at the grocery store so she could get milk and a couple of things but one of her best friends had a birthday this week and Otter picked her up on the way back to her apartment.  Friend will stay there tonight and probably tomorrow night as well, because of the weather.  Otter and Roomie were going to have a small birthday cake for Friend and then they were going to make tortilla pizzas.  When she picked Friend up, they stopped at Wallyworld for the cake and pizza fixins.*  Otter is off work tomorrow which is good, but she does have to work Thursday morning.  7:00 a.m., not 4:00 a.m. like she sometimes has to go in at!  (EDIT:  Bill's employer just announced that they are closed tomorrow, so I'll have company at home).

I did have to get back out this afternoon.  The dogs had an appointment at the vet.  Frasier was due for his rabies shot and I wanted the vet to check him over.  Maggie got her rear parts squished and he said she was pretty impacted just like the last time.  We are probably going to be getting her in for her "rear alignment" every two months instead of every three now.  She also got her pedicure while she was there, those claws were really getting long but she absolutely would NOT let me/us trim them.  Maggie weighed in at 25.8 pounds, which is about what she was last year and she is right where she should be.  Frasier is 66.6 pounds, and he's down about a pound or two but it's probably not anything to worry about.  The vet examined him very carefully and very thoroughly.  He does agree that Frasier might have some minor vision issues, but not very bad.  He didn't find anything in the dog's spine or legs, but he's pretty sure that Frasier does have arthritis in his hips.  Which is not uncommon in shepherds and we aren't surprised.  He gave me an anti-inflammatory that Frasier will probably be on from here on out, and a pain pill because Frasier has quite a bit of coyote and they generally don't show pain because they can't afford to be considered weak by either their den mates or any potential predator.  The pain pills will be given to him for a few days, then I'll probably be able to space them out two every other day or every three days and I might be able to stop them entirely unless he needs them occasionally.  He also gave me some more tranquilizers since I'm just about out.  Frasier doesn't need them too often, but I have given them to him the last couple of nights.  But now that I know he really needed a pain pill, I'm not surprised he was so antsy the last few nights.  Frasier has also discovered blankies, between him and Maggie I'm going to be lucky if I ever get to use my afghan again!

Also, the vet showed me a picture of the dog he had as a child.  It was half German Shepherd.  The other half was coyote!  We knew he was knowledgeable about coyotes, now I'm even more convinced that Frasier is in very good hands with him.

*Fixins.  Don't leave home without them!

No comments: