Sunday, November 07, 2010

Sunday Puppies

Today's title is from something Bill said.  His suggestion for our Sunday title was actually something along the lines of "puppy for sale", meaning a certain beagle we all know and love.  I don't think he's too happy with her at the moment, it might have something to do with the fact that she keeps getting on the couch.

Otter is off with BF for the day.  I think she thought that she could avoid housework and having to help with the firewood if and when it gets here.  It might not be today, it might actually be tomorrow.  But she's not escaping anything, there is plenty for her to do.

Otter's remaining hamster died Friday evening.  We expected it, Nadine (the hamster) had been acting odd lately.  When rodents get old, it hits them suddenly and they act a certain way.  We'd been seeing the signs for about a week and Friday afternoon she was unresponsive and her breathing was labored.  We made sure that she was warm and as comfortable as we could make her, then we let nature take it's course.  Which was the only thing we could do.  Sometime that evening, she peacefully died.  She is now buried out in the back yard, along with the other hamster (Helena), 1 mouse (April), 2 parakeets (Aqua and Skyler) and one sphinx cat that belonged to the neighbor.  Otter is ok, it was rough on her but she's ok.  The hamster was about 2 years old, which is a good length of time.  They normally live between 1 1/2 to 2 years.  The previous hamster was probably about 1 1/2 years old.  Otter thinks she's through with small pets, at least for a while.  She'll stick with dogs for now.  She'd love a hairless rat, however.  But Bill absolutely said no to that one!  I would have let her have one...

I went to an estate sale this afternoon but was less than impressed.  I also stopped at a yard sale I saw a sign for, but didn't find anything there either.

It's been pretty cold the last few nights.  Yesterday morning when I went outside to get the paper, the cars were frosted.  That's the first time this season.  The days have been absolutely beautiful.

I might get out and start on the tulip bed in a little while.  It needs to have all the old growth pulled off and that's not something Otter has ever been able to help with due to a specific allergy she has.  She helps with the rest of it, but the clearing of the bed is my job.

My mums in the front are blooming, they are a very pretty deep maroonish color.  I think I've changed my mind on getting mums for the whiskey barrel planter.  I really like them, but I think I'm ready for a change.  I'm not going to do anything about the one mum I have, it's pretty and can stay there as long as it wants to.  But I think I'm going to stick with replanting each spring/summer in the whiskey barrel, and probably go with different things each year.  Or at least that's the plan today!


Otter and I thought that this was funny.  It's from Harry Potter, I think from the new movie.  The point is that they are all redheads!



I just thought that this was funny.  It reminds me of Otter.  Although she's a karate otter, not a karate kitty!  Well, she was a calico kitty one year for Halloween.


This one is strictly about me!

Our spider friend is gone.  As in dead.  The web was empty yesterday morning, then Bill noticed that the spider was out there mid-morning but was barely moving.  We thought maybe he was just not quite warmed up yet because he was moving although slowly, but then later it was pretty obvious that he wasn't moving at all.  But the web was empty the last time I looked out, still there and tattered but empty.  A bird probably got the spider.  I'm surprised he was there as long as he was, as cold as it's been the last few nights.

I have finished all my throw pillows.  I have one small item to finish, a pot holder I made for Froggy but then didn't quite finish before I went to see her.  I took it with me and forgot about it, then I asked her to send it back to me and now I just have to finish it.  It's all made, I just have to put the pieces together.  That's the last thing I have to do, before I let myself start the afghan.  I thought I'd get to the afghan yesterday, but I didn't quite get there.  Sometime this week.  I still have to work on the quilt.  It was on the agenda for this weekend, but Otter slept until nearly noon yesterday (Saturdays are lazy days for us) and today she's off with BF.  Nobody was in a particularly creative mood yesterday, Otter was kind of down because of the hamster and my skin was a little painful so I didn't do much with the yarn.

Our church now has a 9:00 service, they started it a few weeks back.  We started attending the early service two weeks ago, there were 10 people including us.  The minister commented that the first Sunday, he'd only had two people!  Today, there were between 15 and 20 so it's beginning to catch on.  We like the earlier time better.

OK, I've put it off long enough.  Time to go get my shovel and head to the tulip bed!  And then I'll get back to my laundry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

quit complaining- at least you can grow tulips. They do not grow well here-we do not get cold enough. I have 100 daffodil bulbs in the frig. Crazy Uncle keeps complaining about them and threatening to toss them. They will be planted the first week in Dec. I got mixed colors this year. Hopefully some from last year will come up this year.
I have to either repair my whiskey barrels or replace them. I am leaning toward replacing them. I am looking for big pots that are cheap. No luck so far. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I wasn't complaining. Just stating a fact. However, now I am complaining! I cleaned out a lot of leaves and assorted crud from the tulip bed, but then the ground was too dry to pull much of the overgrowth out. I am complaining because now my arms hurt from the attempt! I watered the bed and will hit it again later, when the water has had time to work into the dirt a bit.

Otter Mom said...

Daffodils should come back up. They are pretty hardy and spread, so you may well have more than you planted last year. And tell Crazy Uncle to keep his paws off the daffys!

Alexandra said...

We've got a quite a lot of spiders here! We get big brown ones that come in from the garden, and some large ones in between the screen ad the window in my kitchen. We are constantly cleaning them out.

Yesterday I sat outside on the chaise, and a black widow popped out of the metal hole joint! I haven't moved that fast in years. lol.

Otter Mom said...

I usually leave spiders alone, if they are inside I will try to rescue them and take them outside. But brown recluse are the exception to the rule, they get squashed. I think I would probably run pretty fast myself, if I had a black widow pop out like that!