Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday Travel Report

As you can probably tell from Maggie's latest entry, we have been traveling.  We made a trip to San Antonio for Thanksgiving.

Yes, we actually took a real vacation!  This is the first family vacation involving travel that we've taken in about 6 years.  So we were overdue.  It was fun.  We left last Sunday at 4:30 a.m. (yes, a.m.) and made it in 10 hours.  (The tulips were actually planted the Sunday before).  We spent the week with Nana and saw most of our assorted family members that live in the area.  We had a wonderful time, and really enjoyed it.  Thanksgiving was a lot of fun - we ate too much, but that is kind of expected I think.

Froggy and I ran off for two days and hit various thrift stores.  We took Otter with us the first day and KN3 joined us the second day.  We had puffy tacos!  And I found two fairly rare Fenton pieces for $13.00 each.  Above my general price, but both pieces are worth it.  I'll get pictures posted soon.  We would have hit the yarn store I like so much, but they were closed. :(  Which actually was probably a good thing, because I would probably have spent every available cent I had and then not had any for Fenton.  Otter found (big surprise here) a pair of shoes and quite a few clothing items.  I did buy yarn, I found two skeins of vintage yarn at a thrift store for 49-cents each.  Of course it came home with me. :)

Bill brought home three new pachinko machines.  Two he got in SA and one he picked up on the way back.  Two fit in the trunk, but the one on the way back had to go in the back seat.  On the way down, Otter had her stuff spread out all across the back seat but she had to share space with a pachinko for about half the trip back.

The doggies went to be boarded.  The had a good time, but they were crazy excited when we got there to pick them up.  When we got them home, they ran around the living room like a couple of headless chickens for a while, then collapsed in a heap on their blanket and went right to sleep.

We came back on Friday.  Yes, we left at 4:30 a.m. again.  It took us a little longer to come back, we had a 30 minute detour for a pachinko and a little more traffic.  We did manage to get home before sundown, but we didn't have much time to spare.  We basically unloaded the car, went to get the dogs and then parked on the couch and stayed there until last night!

After church this morning, Otter and I went to the grocery store.  Since we were going to be gone for a week, I didn't buy groceries last week and we pretty much ran out of everything.  Since the refrigerator was empty, I could see that it was also in serious need of a cleaning.  So I did that after breakfast this morning, then we went to the grocery store and filled it up again.  But at least it's clean now!

I'm also doing laundry.  Which I normally do on Sunday anyway, but I have twice as much as normal since I wasn't home to do it last Sunday.  I did do some during the week before we left so there wasn't a whole lot but we have all the clothes we wore last week plus all the stuff Otter got while we were thrifting.

Bill got started on the firewood this afternoon.  He got to use his chainsaw!  He cut up most of two bundles, there are still over 4 waiting.  We stacked what he cut and it was about a rick.  Actually, I think it was a little more than that.  If it ever does turn into winter, we're ready.  There was some winter weather in this area on Thanksgiving, but we weren't here to deal with it.  I don't think it was horrible, but if we'd been home we probably wouldn't have been out in it anyway since it was a holiday.

I went shopping just now.  Froggy, I went to the antique/junk store where I found the picnic basket and you found the 3D puzzles for Scooter.  I found FENTON!  5 pieces, just over $20.00 so it was a good day.  That means that I've acquired 7 new pieces in less than a week.  Happy, happy!

Otter is off with BF today.  She thinks she escaped having to help stack firewood.  But there's plenty more waiting!  So she won't be left out.

I got quite a bit done on my afghan while we were on the way to and from SA.  I put about 12 rows on it.  I also got a few more rows added to the Dr. Who scarf.  I might get a little more done today, but I'm not sure.  My arms are kind of sore from stacking firewood.  But I might not let that stop me.

OK, back to my laundry now!  And probably to play with a couple of dogs.  And then I think I'm going to make chili.  It's cool but not cold, but it's always chili weather for us.

It's a Texas thing.

No comments: