Sunday, February 06, 2011

Super Sunday and a Prayer Request

Today's title has absolutely nothing to do with the Super Bowl.  We are not really into sports, I'll occasionally watch the Super Bowl but usually only the tail end of it to see who's winning.  But I usually don't even watch that much.  I will probably find the online link to the commercials tomorrow, we usually watch them online the next day.

Today is Super Sunday because we got to get out of the house.  We went shopping!

Well, we went to the grocery store.  Then I took Otter to a thrift store, I found nothing.  But she found all sorts of things, so it was a fun trip even if none of what we bought was actually for me.  We ran into a friend of ours there, she said that she was invited to Super Bowl party and that she was going to go even though she's not a sports fan at all, just because it gave her a reason to get out of her house.  Of course, she had to get a friend to come get her since her car is still snowed in, but she was just happy to be out and see other people besides her family.

The grocery store was pretty crowded, for a Sunday morning at 10:30.  I don't usually buy groceries on Sunday, but a)  people are re-stocking supplies so there are a lot of things that the stores are going to run out of soon and b) we got more winter on the way!  The next storm system isn't expected to be as big as last week, but it is expected about Tuesday night into Wednesday and I thought that I'd better get there now while I could.  I didn't need milk, oj, eggs or birdseed and that's a good thing.  Because they had no eggs, very little milk and might have been out of oj.  I didn't check the birdseed, but they were running low on dog food.  I bought it, the same brand we feed the poochsters but a different "flavor" than what they usuall eat.  They won't mind, I've seen some of the things they eat!  But I did get picante sauce (Pace of course!), and I bought two large jars of it so we're set for a while.  We eat a lot of it.  The store was also out of flour, which I thought was strange.  They didn't have any more canned biscuits, but they had plenty of canned chili still.

Church was cancelled, which we expected.  While we were out, we went to the post office and had to drive by our Church.  The parking lot was untouched and looked like it would have been very bad to drive on .  The city streets are a mixture of good and bad.  Most of the main streets have been plowed, although they might not have all lanes open.  The neighborhood streets are pretty much untouched.  A lot of people were out shoveling their driveways so they can get out.  There is a large plywood piece stuck at the entrance to our neighborhood, with the words "Donner Pass" spray painted on it.  (Donner Party, remember history?)  It was funny.

My face is better, the cut is healing well but now it's itching.  Driving me nuts!  The bruise is nice & multi-colored.  It's still somewhat sore, but a lot of that is because I keep bumping it.  The collar of my coat kept rubbing it and my scarf was also a problem.  Froggy asked me why the car slid, it was because it was parked on ice.  And that brings me to the prayer request.

One of Froggy's friends, her name is Sonya, lost her 36 year old daughter to a fall on ice Friday.  She lived in North Texas and they got quite a bit of ice.  So any prayers for the family would be appreciated.  That's got to be so hard to go through.

Our paper was delivered yesterday and today.  It's nice to have one again.  The newspaper has already announced that they will deduct three days from subscriptions, which is nice.  I'm glad that we got it, but I'm also glad that they didn't even attempt to deliver them last week.  It's not worth the chances that they would have been taking, driving in the conditions we have had to deal with.

At this point, nothing has been announced about school closings for tomorrow.  But I won't be surprised if school is cancelled, at least for tomorrow.  Otter's school district said that they would decide this afternoon sometime.  Same thing for the school district that Bill works for.

There have been a couple of reports of roof damage due to ice, a store in the area had a roof collapse last night.  It was about 15 minutes before closing time, there were no customers in the store at the time but there were two employees.  They were able to get out of the way, but they had to run to escape as it fell.

We decided to splurge for lunch today.  Otter and I brought Arby's home.  It was pretty good, we don't eat there very often but we do like it.  Wednesday is the local Ronald McDonald House fundraiser, so we'll get McD's on the way home - if the weather lets us, that is.  That is about the only time we eat McDonald's all year long.

Guess that's it for today!

No comments: