Thursday, March 21, 2013

Adjustments

It's been a full day.  I've been running since I got up, which was actually about 10 minutes early.  Bill had to turn off the power to one part of the house yesterday so he could replace an electrical outlet, and we totally forgot about the fact that it always messes up the alarm clock we use.  The clock has a battery back up so it never actually turns off, but it always speeds itself up when the power is restored.  But I didn't mind too much, I was already awake but still in bed.

Otter's annual lung/asthma recheck was this morning.  She was going to take herself, but they kept calling me yesterday (4 times!) to confirm the appointment and each time they had it wrong.  They apparently scheduled her for allergy testing, although that was never mentioned.  Then they thought that she was just going in for allergy shots, although that was never part of it either.  The other two calls were the same.  After that mess, she said she wanted me to go with her in case they tried to start testing, etc. but they managed to get it right.  Her allergist was amazed at how well she's doing.  He said that this is the kind of appointment he likes, and for her to keep up whatever it is that she's doing.  He didn't make any changes, she still uses her daily inhaler twice a day and the rescue inhaler if/when she needs it - but she hasn't needed it in over a year!  She goes back in a year.  Hopefully, by then they will have gotten on the ball!

We met Bill for lunch at our favorite TexMex place.  The waiter was bringing our drinks and he managed to spill an entire glass of water - almost on me.  I just barely managed to get my purse (the Coach!) and feet up out of the way, I got a little splashed on my legs but I wasn't upset.  He was embarassed, but it was just an accident and no harm was done.  We had fajitas, which were (as always) good.  After that, Bill was heading home but Otter wanted to go to the library so I dropped her off on my way back to work.  And the Teenager wasn't happy that I didn't bring her back!  He saw her between the doctor appointment and lunch, so he wasn't as unhappy as he'd have been if he had missed her entirely.

After I dropped her off and was heading back to work, the rain that had been threatening finally started.  And swiftly turned into sleet!  I thought it was Spring?  Well, there is a reason we say that Oklahoma weather is bipolar and today it certainly was.  It has been cold all day but the sleet stopped quickly.  It's just cold and grey now, and will be for a few days - we have a chance of snow late Saturday night into early Sunday morning.

After I got off work, I picked Otter up and we went to the mall.  My new glasses came in yesterday but I didn't have time to go get them, so we went today.  Otter wanted to get her glasses adjusted and she did that when I got my new ones.  I think I'm going to like them.  I haven't had plastic frames in a long time, but they are comfortable.  They're also smaller than the previous ones.  The prescription isn't that much different, but now that I've got the new ones I realize that they were worse than I thought.  After the glasses, we wanted a coke so we hit the food court and Cinnabon had freshly made cinnamon rolls, so of course we had to get one!  And because we are TEXAN, our cokes were actually Dr. Pepper.

As if all that wasn't enough, we went to the grocery store next.  We were discussing which Wallyworld we wanted to go, since I needed to get Ridex, allergy meds, toothpaste, vitamins and a bunch of other stuff that is actually quite a bit cheaper there and we realized that there is a Walmart right next door to the mall.  So we didn't have to drive very far.  We managed to miss the bulk of the afternoon rush-hour traffic and got in and out quickly.  I really prefer the regular grocery store, but sometimes it's a Wallyworld trip and today was one of those Wallyworld days.  They weren't too crowded.  I don't like to wait late in the week, but I just didn't have time earlier or I'd have already gone.

The dogs were crazed when we got home and let them in.  They are pretty playful most of the time, but they love the cooler temps and today was no exception.  They were invigorated and nutso.  I had to bend over to pick something up, and Frasier was suddenly right in my face - sniffing my new glasses.  Silly boy!  But since we bought (many) bagged pasta and they each got a couple of pieces when I was putting it in the container we keep it in, they were happy dogs.  Now, they are probably snoozing dogs.  Smart puppies, actually - at least Frasier is.  Maggie Moo is sometimes as dumb as a box of rocks, but they know a good thing when they see it and naps are good things.

Bill's at an auction in a neighboring small town.  There are a couple of specific things he wants, and hopefully they'll go pretty cheaply (and he'll get them.)  I don't miss the eBay/auction days at all, but sometimes I still like to go to auctions.  Just not on the massive scale we did when we were actively selling huge amounts on eBay.  It was fun, but it ran it's course and I'm glad that we've moved on.  Well, Bill has - to pachinko machines!

Now, back to my laundry.  Otter likes to have clean clothes for work, for some reason.  I have a deal with her:  I iron her work clothing and then she does whatever household chore I come up with in return.  Since she started working, I don't have a maid any longer!

My allergies are better today.  I've realized that I'm probably not actually allergic to aloe vera.  I can use things that have it in them, the sunburn gel, hydrocotisone cream and lotions for example.  It doesn't bother me.  But if I use it straight from the plant itself, I think it's just too strong and that's why it irritates my skin.  We have odd allergies, in the family.  No doubt about that.  I'm allergic to ecinachea (sp?), acai and a couple of other things that are supposed to be good for me.  But they aren't.  I can't eat kiwi or have any contact with lavendar.  Those are just a couple of examples.  Froggy is allergic to bananas, but I could eat them every meal and never have a problem.  She likes kiwi (I think), but I will scratch off every bit of my skin if I eat it.  Otter can't have honeydew, cantaloupe or blueberries.  Weird.  But we just have to deal with it, it's just kind of hard when we either accidentally come into contact with our eat something bad or, and this is the really "fun" part, find out the hard way that we're allergic to something.  There's only one type of beef jerky that Otter can eat, something in the spices used will send her into a migraine faster than the speed of light.

Fun!

No comments: