Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hot Tuesday Stuff

Hot as in, it's warm!  It's mid 90's, which isn't really all that hot.  But we went from 70's to Summer with no in-between.  Also, the humidity levels are bad and getting worse - which will mean lung issues for me at some point.
 
And there's also the fact that I'm a 51 year old woman and I've been above average temperature for days now!
 
Today's activities include coming home after work and filling every available container with water.  Seems that my not-so-big town has a water issue.  The main line that water comes in to the treatment plant developed several leaks overnight.  Apparently, there was a power outage and they had to close some of the valves.  When the power was restored and the valves opened back up, they developed lots of leaks.  Since late morning the city has been on reserve water and the reserve level has dropped a lot.  We have several big water jugs on hand, the kind you see in water coolers.  But we prefer not to have to tap one of those if we don't need to - we've had them for a while and they are part of our emergency supplies.  We had to use one once, several years back when there was a pipe failure in our area (it wasn't city-wide) and the water was off for several hours.  So, when I got home, Otter and I got busy and we filled up several containers.  I also got the coffee pot fixed up for tomorrow morning!  Got my priorities, huh!?  We filled up the dog's water dish, and about 30 seconds later Frasier came in and did what we call "camel dog" which means that the level in the water dish went down about an inch.  He was a thirsty boy!  The city issued a boil order while ago, water has to be boiled for at least one minute before being consumed or used for medical needs.  The reason for that is that the water pressure is so low that any potential contaminants won't be flushed out and might well be in the water that comes out of the tap.  The crews are still working and will probably get it fixed in the next several hours, but it will take several more hours after that to get the reserve tanks filled.
 
Otter is off the next 3 days, I'd already been ordered (there is no other word for it!) by a certain 96-year-old teenager to bring her to see him and his wife and she wanted to go in with me tomorrow for that.  After lunch, which may well be a thrift shop, I'm going to take her to the library or she may decide to go to the mall or somewhere else instead.  But with the water issues, I would probably have suggested she go in with me anyway.  For one thing, flushing is not recommended right now!
 
The house behind us has the sides up now, it looks like it's going to be a one story but we won't know for sure until the roof timbers are up.  Which will probably be soon, the way that those houses are built.
 
One of the trees in the back had a dead limb that has been in it for a few weeks, since one of the bad storms we had.  It finally fell out today.  It's not a huge limb, but it's big enough.  It's now in the grass below the tree and will stay there until one of us gets out in the back for longer than it takes to call the dogs in.  That might be a few days, it's getting humid enough that it's not pleasant or easy to breathe so I'm staying in as much as I can.
 
I've also had to cope with a slight migraine.  I took 3 motrin as soon as I felt the beginning of it, it seems to have done the trick.  I do have a headache, but it's tolerable.  For a migraine, anyway.
 
I just realized that I don't have to come up with an excuse.  I don't have to do laundry tonight!  Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

No comments: