Tuesday, April 06, 2010

A Pretty Good Thrifting Day

Any day is a good day, when I find $1.50 FENTON!




This is an example of my newest piece, not the actual one. Because mine is in the other room and I'm at the computer. Also, it's clear and I don't have a good background handy for a picture. But this is what I found today. Daisy & Button pattern, it was originally made between the 1930's to the 1940's, this line probably ended by the mid-1940's. This pattern was reproduced a couple of years back, in colors, but this one is one of the early pieces. Clear glass is called Crystal as a color name. (I could go get one of my Fenton books and look up a closer estimate of the production years, but there is a large & furry 4-footed "carpet" between me and the door of the room, and he is being unmovable at the moment.) I have been looking for one of these for quite a while, and I was hoping to find one of the original pieces as opposed to a repro - but I'd have been happy with a repro, after all it would still be Fenton! But I'm happy that I found an original piece. The fan tray was originally intended to be a vanity tray - you know, it sits on the top of the vanity cabinet and holds jewelry, etc. but I think also it could have been used as an ash tray.
A while back, I mentioned finding a piece that I knew was made by Fenton but that it was made for the Avon company and I didn't buy it because it had the Avon logo in the front and very visible - it was one of these, but smaller. I'm not a fan of Avon, so I had no problems letting that piece go.
Happy, Happy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful! The price was great also. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I got two more pieces Wednesday, one is cracked & repaired but still a hard to find piece and a very good price. The second one was pretty cheap but not as rare. I'll post about them later.