Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Some Spring Stuff

I'm happy, I got to get outside and play!

I planted morning glory seeds along the back fence, I had 8 or 10 packages of seeds in various colors and now they are all out there under the dirt. Hopefully, they will come up soon. We have blue ones there already which are georgeous, but I wanted some other colors mixed in. I had a few seeds left, so I planted those under Otter's trellis at the side of the deck and maybe there will be some color variety there as well. Playing in the dirt is always fun! Right, Froggy?
The latest addition to the rock garden. I bought this many months ago and tried a couple of different colors on it, but never could get it to look right. I wanted it to look aged, I fiinally just hit it with a coat of Kilz and called it good. I'd love a real one, but so would the dogs. So, concrete it is! Otter's 3 piece alligator is in front of it, it's just there to see how it looks. Because it's small, the dogs keep relocating it so it probably will get moved soon.

The rock garden from a slightly different angle, and the 3 banana trees are planted at the end of Otter's trellis. Also visible are some of the irises which are exploding right now.


This is the back of the house, that's our bedroom window visible and if you look closely at the side of the house - there's also a beagle. The irises are just starting to bloom, they have plenty of blossoms but they also still have billions of buds. There are two white iris plants out there, there will be more because they spread like wildfire. Which is what we want them to do, by the way. There was one white one last year, now there are two and they are not really close to each other so I'm not sure if last year's has multiplied or if maybe there was one that was dormant last year and didn't bloom.


A close up of an iris.



This looks like one stalk, but it's actually two - one stalk has two white blooms and the purple is on another stalk that was leaning on the white ones. Guess it was jealous and wanted to be in the picture, too.
I had some inside chores to do, but they got put off. If I don't get my outside time, I get cranky. Just ask Bill! I also pulled a few weeds that were along the edge of the rock garden and had to come in and wash my hands two or three times - allergies!
I let the dogs out while I was out in the back yard. They were crazed before we went out, they were very excited because they could see the across the street neighbor's lawn mower. They are so strange at times. Ok, they are always strange but today they were moreso! Anyway, they ran around for a while in the back yard and then found assorted spots to water and/or sniff. When I came in, they were ready to come in as well.
Now, they are probably having a nap. Sounds good to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The flowers are pretty. I have not planted any irises. Yes playing in the dirt is always fun. I am working on weed eating the back yard still. There are so many weeds and we have had so much rain that they just keep ahead of me. I did the front yard a week ago and it is going to need it again. I will probably weed eat it tomorrow and work in my flowers. I will also do some in the back yard also. Lucky will be moving soon so I will be able to have a nicer back yard.
Froggy