Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Middle of the Week Catching Up! (**EDITED)

I know, I've been a bad blogger lately.  But we've just been pretty busy this week.

Monday was something right after work, I just can't remember now what it was.  Yesterday might have just been Tuesday (I know there was something after work yesterday but I can't remember), but today was grocery & errand day and my feet hurt.  I also took the recycling stuff this morning and went to the post office to clear the box all on the way in to work.  After unloading a trunk load of groceries this afternoon and eating dinner, I ran Billyboy up to Lowe's for a few things.

He's currently occupied with a hammer, he's putting new register (vent) covers in a couple of spots and the one for our bathroom is just a tiny bit too big on one corner.  The other register that needed to be replaced is the one in the kitchen.  It fit fine, just the one in the bathroom is being uncooperative.

Otter and I also went to a thrift store this afternoon.  She found a book and a t-shirt to repurpose (also known as cutting it up and resewing it into something completely different).  I found yarn, a green shade but "vintage" and I know I didn't have it in my stash.

My ever-growing stash.  I'm trying to use up some of my stash, it doesn't do anybody any good just sitting there.  I have an idea for the green I bought today, and I have also found a hat pattern that I think might work better than the last one.  I might have time Saturday to see about it.

And I know I said I'd never do it again, but I think I might try thread crochet again.  Thread crochet is what doilies are made of.  It's called thread for a reason, it's not quite as small as sewing thread but it's pretty small.  I tried it years ago and hated it, but I'm really needing a challenge and that might just be it.  I have the hooks for it already, I acquired most of them in an auction box lot years ago and kept them.  Well, I might have tried to sell them on eBay, I can't remember for sure.  But they didn't sell or at any rate I still have them.  I will probably try it with embroidery thread, which actually might be too thick so I would have to take a few strands out.

Unless I come to my senses, that is.  Thread crochet can be very tedious.  But I've seen some wonderful pieces lately and it's been on my mind for a while.  I'll keep you posted, but it will be a while before I attempt it.

Sometimes, I really hate enjoying challenges!

Tomorrow has a long list of things I want/need to do, either on my lunch hour or after work.  Friday has a few things, but the library is the biggest one for Friday.  Otter's finally read most of the books we got last time, which is no easy task considering how many books she had.

Saturday can't get here fast enough!  I need several hours of uninterrupted crochet/book/nap time.

**EDIT:


When we were cleaning the hamster cages after I posted this, we discovered that the black hamster (Helena, shown above) had died.  She hadn't been acting sick, but she had been a little calmer lately and we think she may have been older than the other one when Otter got them.  They were both small, the other one (Nadine) grew quite a bit but Helena never got any bigger.  A few months back, she hurt one of her legs climbing on the sides of the cage and we thought we might lose her then but she recovered.  But the last couple of days she might not have been eating as much as she normally did.  No other symptoms, she just died sometime yesterday evening.  It's very possible that she was an adult already when Otter got her, quite frequently the breeders will send their breeding females along with babies to the pet stores when the females get to a certain age and that could well be what happened here.  They have not been in the same cage for several months, since they stopped getting along when Nadine grew to a certain size.  Nadine seems healthy, but we are watching her anyway although I don't think that Helena had anything that would be contagious as she had no symptoms.  She did not have what is known as wet-tail disease, that is the big one to cause small rodent death.  She is now in the pet graveyard in the back yard, along with a mouse & 2 parakeets.  Otter's a little upset but she'll be fine.  Her pets traditionally live long, spoiled lives and hamsters can live 2 years plus.  She has had them for a little over a year, she bought them after her birthday in 2009.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IS she getting another Hamster?
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

No, hamsters are territorial and they don't generally get along unless they are siblings. Even then, they sometimes will fight. Since we're not sure what killed the hamster we threw the cage, water bottle, food dish & wheel out. That type of cage is very hard to clean and we'd rather not take the chance of it being something contagious.