Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday Stuff

Still hot!  See yesterday's for the 7-day outlook.  Which is still about the same, unfortunately.

We got Otter enrolled at college over the last few days.  We started the process last Wednesday, but there were still a couple of steps to go through that we had to wait on an email for but it didn't come in until late Thursday and they were closed on Friday.  So, since it took so long last week when we were there, I arranged the day off today. we went out there this morning (for a few hours more) and finished the process.  Basically, she's going to the local community college for the next two years with the plan being for her to transfer to a university for the last 3 years.  Yes, I know - that means 5 years.  But the degree program she's after is a 5-year Master's degree because apparently you can't become a certified librarian unless you have a master's degree.  We are very fortunate that the nearby university offers the degree, because it's not a very common one and I'm not even sure if another school in the state offers it.  Well, there might be one - but I suspect it's that particular school that no self-respecting TEXAN would ever consider attending, under any circumstances. :)  Besides, that particular school does not have the best reputation for the subjects Otter is interested in and the closer school has a very good program.  The community college is very highly rated and I think several of her friends are also going there.  So, we feel good about it.

Anyway, we are now officially the parents of a college student.  She'll be taking 13 hours, 3 days a week for the classes she wanted.  Monday - Wednesday - Friday.  At least to start with, I'll be taking her and picking her up because it's on my way to work.  She'll eventually get to the point where she is driving herself, but that will mean that she'll have to have her own vehicle and she hasn't quite gotten enough $$ saved yet.  Or, at least not enough to buy a dependable car.  She's working on that.  But it's not going to be a problem for me, it's literally on the way to work and her school hours are almost the same as my work hours.  In two years, she'll probably be literally "away at college" because the closer school is close but not quite close enough to drive to/from each day.  Although Bill disagrees with that!  Well, he'll get used to the idea when it's time.  Maybe.  Froggy, I bet you know exactly what I'm talking about concerning Uncle Crazy and KN3 being away!  (And men think that mothers are overprotective?)

Since I was off today, we had a few other errands we scheduled for today.  We've been cleaning out stuff and Bill found bunches and bunches of old books from his college days, as well as assorted books from training he's taken for work.  They are on their way to being donated, we took two big grocery bags full today and there are probably 3 times that many still left.  We also went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch and a couple of other things.  Now, we're at home (obviously) and I'm doing the laundry I didn't do yesterday because we went to The Movie.  (See next paragraph).

Movie Review:  HP7.5.  It was very good, fairly intense at times but it did stick the book for the most part.  There were some things that were skipped which was probably necessary due to time, and there were a few things that were changed slightly but they didn't hurt the story.  We really enjoyed it.  We saw the 3-D version, the 3-D glasses were kind of a pain yesterday but I had a sinus headache before we even headed out to the theater and it didn't help matters.  But it was a good movie and we had a lot of fun.

OK, back to my laundry.  Then, I think I'll go see about some crochet.  Maybe.  I have a sore left hand below my thumb, caused by carrying something too heavy with that hand and today's bags of books didn't help.  There are times when I really need to be an octopus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dads have a hard time when their kids go away to college. But it is something that the kids need. Mine have learned a huge amount from dorm living. It has been the best thing for them. When each of mine bought a car, we went 50/50. They paid for half and we paid for half. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

We have the same arrangement with Otter regarding a car. She's saving her money. It's a couple of years down the line, but I think it will be good for her if she does go away to college. But I'm not so sure about her father...