Thursday, October 25, 2012

Two in a Row!

Two bark-free nights, that is.  :)

Frasier is obviously getting more sleep, but he's also getting playful again.  One of the signs we were seeing that we thought was old age was that he was not nearly as playful as normal.  But he's back to terrorizing the beagle again and wearing her out.  He was up at 4:15 again this morning, I think we'll give him the pills about 9:30 or so tonight and see if that makes a difference.  But I was already awake before he was, for some reason.  Maybe the fact that for two nights in a row I'd managed to sleep all night long might have a little something to do with it because I woke up ready to face the day even though it was about 4:00 a.m.

Tonight, I was making sandwiches for dinner (Bill and I were eating light) and small salads.  Both dogs absolutely love lettuce, Frasier was outside and Maggie was dancing around the kitchen - on her back feet only, by the way.  I gave her a piece and then called him in.  He came in but did not see the lettuce I dropped right in front of him.  I touched the floor and he saw it, but it makes me think that his vision is worse than we thought.  Or maybe it's worsening.  Quality of Life is the deciding factor as far as he's concerned, we'll just have to keep a watch over him as far as his vision goes.

Froggy, I know I said that I'd get your crocheted stuff finished up and in the mail to you this week.  But I haven't quite gotten there - I really didn't want to attempt to finish up the last one when I was dealing with so little sleep.  No telling what it would have looked like!  I'm aiming for Monday or Tuesday of next week to get them mailed to you.  I'll let you know.

Otter and I ran to Wallyworld this afternoon.  She's always been a milk drinker, but now she's drinking even more milk.  Along with taking a calcium supplement due to the fact that her teeth show some signs of decalcifying.  I've always gone through a few gallons of milk in a week, and now I'm remembering how many gallons we would go through when she was little!  Fine with me, by the way.  Calcium is important for both Otter and myself.  But she's needing to increase her calcium intake a lot more than I do at this point.

Otter's also been dealing with a little bit of what is known as Red Head Anemia.  It's part of the Red Head Curse, and it's been a big issue for me at times.  I think I blogged about that but I'm not sure.  When she was a baby, she had a pretty strong case of it.  Anyway, she's been increasing her iron/protein intake lately and it's beginning to work.  She's like most of us, she's got the very pale, light complexion.  But she's been almost as white as a piece of paper lately.  That's better, she's getting her normal color back.  Well, she's still pale but then we all are! :)  Red Head Anemia is one of the many problems that we deal with, iron (and lack thereof) is a big issue for most of us.  Froggy, you might have just enough of the Red Hair coloration gene to deal with this yourself.  There are several facets to the Red Head Curse, and we learn to deal with them.  Then they become routine and normal for us, which leads to forgetting to mention it to people like medical technicians who get a rude awakening when we bleed all over the place!  I was "lucky", when Otter was born I did have a little more bleeding than a non-redhead, but not nearly as much as I could have.  But it was still a learning experience for one of the nurses!

Otter's also got a pair of fangs that she bought at a local Halloween store.  These are the good ones, they look pretty realistic.  She wants to wear them when she goes to the dentist in December for her oral surgery.  I think it's a funny idea, and I also think that my Dad would have loved it.

It started out in the 70's this morning.  Then the expected cold front hit, about 10:00 or so.  It was in the low 50's when I left work at 3:30.  It was also windy and cloudy.  The clouds thinned out a little and I saw the sun for a few minutes, but now it's cloudy again.  It's supposed to be in the 40's tonight.  Tomorrow is the 50's, with tomorrow night right at freezing and Saturday is also supposed to be cool with a better freeze Saturday night.  Got the blankets ready to be deployed, I'm going to spend Saturday keeping the couch company and making sure that the blankets don't feel lonely!

No comments: