Monday, July 08, 2013

First Day Back at Work

And we survived!
 
It was so hard to get up this morning, I would have much preferred to sleep in.  Of course, last week I think I only managed to make it to 6:00 a.m. one day last week. :)
 
Today actually turned out to be a pretty good day.  Especially after I got back from lunch and discovered what my older boss called a "love note" on my desk - the official notice of my raise!  It was totally unexpected, in fact Bill and I were talking about our salaries over the weekend and I remarked that I'd probably reached about the top $ I could expect for a small company and I was already making more than I thought any other part-time job could pay.  Clearly, I was wrong about that.  Spectacularly wrong, in fact.  (Froggy, I already told you the amount but it's not something I'm going to put out there for everybody to see.)
 
We're watching Frasier.  He's doing ok as far as the cysts, etc., are concerned.  But he's really showing his age lately.  We're not really sure how old he is exactly, but he's starting to act like he's possibly got some issues with his hips.  Hip dysplasia is common in shepherds and he is getting up there in years, so we won't be surprised if that's what's happening now.  He's got a lot more grey lately, and he might have some vision and/or hearing issues but they are not bad at the moment.  With him, any dog in fact, it comes down to quality of life.  He still seems to have plenty of quality left, it's just that we are noticing more lately.  We'll do the right thing by him, we just don't expect it any time soon - hope not, anyway!
 
Maggie isn't being ignored, she's just being her typical silly self.  We have to watch them when we let them out in the back yard, because the plank in the fence has not been replaced yet.  It's still there, and there is another house beginning out there now so there is more activity.  The fence piece will be replaced at some point, possibly by us.  But Maggie has discovered the missing piece and she now spends a lot of time sitting in front of it.  She's watching the activity on the other side.  She's not a smart dog, but we can see that she's getting more interested in what's going on "on the other side."  She might or might not fit through the hole, but we don't want to take any chances.  She's a typical beagle, they can and do run for miles.  Then they realize that they don't know where they are and they generally are lost for good at that point.  She's already proven that she's got that instinct, so we don't want to take any chances with our little adorable beagle.  Or with the big dog, either!
 
I think my crock pot ceramic insert might be cracked.  While the soup was cooking on Saturday, we heard a sound that we first thought might be one of the suncatchers in the window loosening up.  When I lifted the crock out of the heating unit, I noticed a little bit of soup had "dribbled" to the bottom.  That happens if the crock pot overflows, which I didn't think happened this time but when I saw that I figured that it had or it might have spilled over a bit when I stirred it.  But when I was putting it all up this morning, I noticed what I first thought was a spot that needed to be dried (I wash it by hand, it's too big for the dishwasher).  But then I realized that I could just barely feel it and it wasn't going away with the drying.  Now I'm thinking that the (small amount) of soup that was in the bottom of the heating unit was probably an actual leak.  I'm not planning on using the crock pot again any time soon, but I have to be sure it's not actually cracked first.  If it is cracked, and I think it probably is, I'll see about replacing the ceramic insert.  I don't want to have to buy a whole new unit, but that might be what I wind up doing - sometimes the replacement parts for things cost almost as much as new items!  Like my electric razor, the blades are nearly $30 but an entirely new razor is only a couple of dollars more.  Makes no sense!

No comments: