Tuesday, May 06, 2014

What a Day. Glad It's Over!

It's just been a hard day.  Really tough day at work, the Teenager was every second of his 97 years today.  I was so glad to see 3:30 roll around, in fact I announced to Younger Boss that I was running off about 10 minutes early and he just waved at me - he had the same kind of day I had!  Today, the idea of being bored stiff at Jury Duty for a few days actually sounded good!!!  (Not really.)
 
We got the other two honeysuckle planted yesterday.  Everything got watered from the rain barrel.  The 2nd barrel has a spout a hose can be attached to, it doesn't have a whole lot of water pressure obviously.  But it does gravity.  (Just using "gravity" as a verb or adverb is an accepted term in the oilfield - since I work for an oil company, I am allowed to use it!)  I was not sure about the clematis yesterday, it didn't look good at all.  But I think maybe it just didn't get enough water, it was much better today and looks really good now.  I just came in from watering the plants the hose will reach.  My arms & shoulders are still sore from carting a very large, metal, heavy-when-full watering can all over the yard yesterday to get the ones out of hose reach.  They were ok today, but they'll probably get watered tomorrow along with all the ones I got tonight.
 
We still haven't planted herbs & peppers.  Otter has had some pretty strong allergy issues, mostly because of the wind and the fact that we were outside so much at the nursery on Sunday.  They are still in good shape, I gave them a little drink this morning.  Probably tomorrow is when they'll get transplanted.
 
Otter's allergies are much better.  She was off yesterday, so she spent the day inside and taking her allergy meds.  She still has some allergies, it is Spring after all.  But she's much better.  She was scheduled to work this morning, she got off at one o'clock and stopped at Wallyworld for me for the swiss cheese I forgot to get.  When I got home, she wanted to go to Hobby Lobby with me so she was outside again but she's still much better than she was.
 
I bought a quilt top in December at an antique-ish store.  The idea was to cut it in half and turn it into curtains for the bedroom.  But I changed my mind and decided it needed to be a quilt and not curtains.  For one thing, it's all hand-stitched and someone took a lot of time and care with it.  It's not huge, but it will be big enough to cuddle up with on the couch.  If Bill's nice to me, I might even let him share it!  Anyway, it has a lot of pinkish and grey shades so I was thinking either a pink or a grey backing color or possibly something with a lot of those shades in it.  So what did I fall in love with?   White with black spots!  The pattern name is Dog Spots, it looks like a dalmation.  But I think it will be fine.  I am going to re-wash the quilt top and I'll wash the backing fabric at the same time.  I think I probably have enough batting for it but I haven't checked for sure.
 
We keep seeing advertisements for the new Godzilla movie.  It looks good.  I hope it is.  Bill and I are part of the "Godzilla generation" and we remember the original movies.  The movie made a few years back was ok, but it was not really what I (or most people, apparently) considered to be "real" Godzilla.  This one looks a whole lot better.
 
While I was outside while ago, I heard the first tree frogs of the spring.  They might have been in the back tree, the one behind the shed.  I didn't look for them, I just enjoyed listening to them chirp.  Or croak?  Whatever it is they say!  I also watched a robin for a while, and it was singing a lot as well.
 
I know it's not Wednesday yet, but it is close.  I might not blog tomorrow and I didn't want to forget this picture.  So, in the spirit of Wednesday (and TEXAS!), I thought I'd post this:


 
Bill's sloooooooooowly getting over the cold-ish that he had.  The one Otter gave me and it took me a while to get over, then I gave it to Bill.  He was pretty stuff last night.  I'm not sure what time it was, but he moved to the couch sometime last night.  I remember when he got up, but I thought he was just going to the bathroom.  But apparently he moved to the couch, because I woke up again when the alarm went off and he was sitting in the corner of the couch with his pillow and a couple of blankets.  But he sounds much better tonight.
 
OK, I guess that's it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you wash the quilt you may want to use a special detergent made for quilts. I think you can get this at Joannes. Also it probably needs to be washed in cold on delicate. You may also want to add a bounce color fade sheet to the washer. I can't think what the name is for the Bounce. Depending on the material you may not want to put it in the dryer, but dry it naturally. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I've actually washed it already. It's just the top and it's cotton. I used a little Tide and washed it in cold, on delicate. I did put it in the dryer, but not for very long. But I have another quilt that needs to be washed and I'll look at Joanns for the quilt detergent. The quilt top is older, but not "old" and it's in fairly good shape. I don't have enough batting though, so I get to go shopping again!