Sunday, May 03, 2015

Footsteps

Otter is following in her father's footsteps.  Whether we want her to or not!


This is the palm of her left hand, fortunately.  She's right-handed.

About 1:00, just as Bill and I were starting to eat lunch I got a text from Otter:  "In case you were ever worried that I don't take after dad enough - I successfully sliced my hand open trying to cut a potato."  I told her to call me after getting that text.  She was attempting to cut into a raw potato so she could bake it and it was slightly damp.  Her left hand slipped - right into the ceramic knife she was using to slice!  This was a little over an hour after it had happened, and it was still bleeding enough that she wasn't sure but thought maybe it needed stitches.  She wanted Mom to look at it, she was at work at this point, so I went to her store to check on it.  Being a redhead, she bleeds like the rest of us do so the fact that there was still blood wasn't enough to say it did need them.  She didn't really want to take the gauze wrapping off it it but I had to see the cut so she took it off.  I thought it was deep and long enough, so she told the supervisor and he said that his wife works at a close walk-in clinic.  He called her and they weren't busy, so we went up there.  They took her back quickly (the nurse was a redhead and we compared notes on bleeding) - Otter wanted me to come back with her - and the doctor thought it needed stitching up.  The shots to numb it was pretty painful, but they generally are.  However, stitches would have hurt worse without the shots.  She knew what to expect, having been to the ER with her dad more than once when he got stitches!  The doctor kept telling her to look away, but she's not squeamish at all and she always has to look.  I rubbed her back while he was numbing it, she said that helped.  He took 4 stitches in it, but because it was with a clean, ceramic knife he doesn't think she needs a tetnus shot.  She has to go back on Wednesday to get it looked at, at that point they will decide if the stitches need to come out in 7 or 10 days.  They will take the stitches out, they are not the disolving kind.  I took her back to work, the doctor said she'd be able to work today.  I went to Walgreen's and got her some neosporin, gauze, vetwrap and tylenol.  She texted me about 5:30 and said the numbness was really starting to wear off.  I told her to take tylenol before it was completely gone.  She already had Monday and Tuesday off from work and she will be off early enough Wednesday to not have to miss any time when she gets the stitches looked at.

I'm pretty sure I have more grey hairs than I did when I woke up this morning!

Bill texted her later on: "Who'se yo daddy!"  She answered "YOU, OBVIOUSLY."

What can I say, she is very much her father's daughter. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad she's doing ok. Froggy