Monday, May 11, 2015

Mostly Musings on Maggie Moo's Manic Monday

I couldn't think of another word that started with the letter M and would go with my aliterive title.  Think I have enough M's?

I took the Magginator to the vet this afternoon and he thinks she does have a bladder infection.  While there, she also got her rear squished and her claws trimmed.  We are now on a 2-month schedule for the rear glands, 3 months is now too long to go between "rear alignments" for her.  The tech said she was just as impacted today (2 months) as she was the last time (3 months between squishings.)  The vet gave her a pretty thorough exam, he does not have any reason to suspect that there is anything other than a garden-variety bladder infection.  He gave her an antibiotic shot and a fairly strong pain shot.  He told me that she would start to feel the effects pretty quick, and she did.  She didn't want to get in the car to come home because they were walking another dog and she wanted to go say hi.  I took her over to the grassy area, she watered the grass and then she and the other dog got to greet each other - it was a huge, white bulldog mix and very friendly.  I think Maggie is lonely for another dog, but that's not something we can do anything about at this point.  Anyway, he also gave her pain pills - the same thing I turned into them 2 weeks ago so that they could donate them to someone who couldn't afford them, and antibiotic pills.  I start her on both of those in the morning, since she got injections of them tonight.

She managed to make it home before she got too droopy, she was happy to see Bill and was actually a little playful for the first time in a few days.  She'd been scratching a lot at her belly, no reason but probably because she was having some pain in the bladder area and she was trying to relieve it.  I got a damp washcloth and washed her face because her allergies make her eyes water, then she wanted a belly rub and I used the damp washcloth on her belly - which she absolutely loved!  She curled up on her pillow and I covered her with one of her blankets.  She went to sleep pretty much immediately, although she did rearrange herself a little later so that her head is uncovered.  She has been smiling in her sleep and snoring.  She's probably done for the day.  She's also almost due for her next set of normal shots - rabies shots, etc. around the end of the month but I didn't realize that until we were checking out.  The vet probably wouldn't have given it to her now anyway, she had a very slight fever and that can often nullify the rabies shot - or at least that was what I was told by a previous vet, but for various reasons we don't really trust much that particular vet told us.

Well, one big reason mostly.  A large, furry, red chow mix that was very ill but they told me was "just a little illness" and that he was fine - but he died two days later.  And we learned after that about the particular vet having a bunch of complaints and unhappy customers.

Maggie was funny, she was happy to get to the vet's front door but then she realized where she was and she tried to turn around and go back to the car.  She didn't want to get on the scale (26.6 pounds), but she was very happy to see the vet and the tech.  She went with them willingly, but I could hear them having to redirect her into the actual room to get her squishing done.  She was happy to come back to me, then she sprawled out in the floor with her nose to the bottom of the door and wagged her tail hard until they came back into the room we were in and then she was happy to see them.

I called the electric company today and told them that I was very unhappy with the work they did.  They started a claim for damages for me.  They will call me and send someone out to look, but I'm not sure when that will be.  We probably have more rain on the way mid- to end of the week, so I took a bunch of pictures this afternoon.  There are a lot of places where the dirt that was piled in the trench has now sunk into the trench, and it looks really bad around the concrete pad where the electrical box is.  I think they killed about 6 crepe myrtles and of course all the grass that they tore out to do the digging.  They also still have a shovel here and two large pieces of plywood.

That is the exciting Monday we've had, but since we know for sure that Maggie doesn't have anything B.A.D. like we were afraid of - not that we had a reason, but it's only been 2 weeks since we lost Frasier - it's a much calmer evening than it could have been.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the title. Glad all Maggie has is an infection, and nothing bad. Froggy