Wednesday, May 13, 2015

May? Spring?

I'm not really sure about either one of those things.

The calendar says it's May 13.  But it's back to jackets the last couple of days.  At the moment, nearly 8:30 p.m., we are sitting on the couch.  With blankets!  (And a warm beagle on her pillow at my feet, also sharing the blanket with me.)  It's pouring at the moment, it started raining again this afternoon after a break in the rain for a couple of hours.

Maggie Moo is much better.  She was bouncy and happy this morning, she went outside for a necessary trip and then she came running inside and zoomed around for a few minutes.  About 6:15, it wasn't raining and she was bouncy, so I said "walk" and that was enough to get her attention.  I didn't get out the door fast enough for her, and she barked at me!  Probably because I was taking too long, she didn't think I should stop long enough to lock the door!  Shed actually "baroo'd" at me - twice!  Baroo is the term for the noise beagles are known for that isn't actually a bark, although they do bark sometimes.  She couldn't get out to the street fast enough.  Then she wanted to walk in the street and not beside the grass!  We had a short walk, it was fairly quick but it was enough to occupy her.  She was tired out from the walk, and I went ahead and gave her a pain pill but I only gave her half of the dose.  It was about time for her to go out for the day anyway, and she was excited about that.  Probably because she knows that means her treat can will be opened!  She was happy when Bill let her in this afternoon.  She was not quite 100%, but she was glad to see him and then me when I got home.

I wanted to take her for a walk but she didn't act like she wanted one.  However, she did want to take a ride with me and was more than willing to let me get her harness on and got in the car easily.  We went to a local pet store because I wanted to get her a different style harness and I needed to take her with me for that.  I got her one that is closer to the old-style harness that Mom used with her chihuauas, it's burnt orange.  I also got her a new leash, the one we've used with her for years was beginning to show it's wear and it needed to be replaced.  The new one is pink, it's decorated with words such as "Diva, Prima Donna and Princess" with pictures of things like crowns - in other words, it fits Maggie's personality to a T!  While we were there, she also met a cat - the resident cat who always greets every animal that comes in.  Maggie was happy to touch noses with the cat, the cat meowed at her and was her normal superior feline self and Maggie was happy.  The particular store hosts cat rescues, some of them have dogs but this one is kitties.  There were a few really young kittens in a couple of large cages on display, Maggie was fascinated with them.  They didn't seem to care that the nose sticking inside the bars was a dog and not a cat, they were cute.  I have no idea if she's ever been around cats, but I think she probably has.  She was a 2-year old dog when we got her, her previous owner was a lady who died of old age and was a friend of a person who ran a rescue group for dogs.  When she died, Maggie was given to the rescue friend to be re-homed.  I'm thinking that Mags had been around cats in her first home.  But since Frasier would kill any cat he could (downside of the coyote heritage), we never allowed either of the dogs near any cat if we could avoid it so we really had no idea how Maggie would react to a cat.  She seems to like them.  She was funny on the way home, she was very interested in looking out the front windshield at a work crew when we were stopped at a light.  Shortly after that, it started raining and Maggie was a little unsure at first, then she curled up and went to sleep.  She did not want to get out of the car at home, she had figured out by that point that it was raining and she does not like rain.  She ran from the car door to the front porch, I don't think she even got one raindrop on her fur but she had to shakeshakeshake before she even took one more step.

We had chili tonight, made with buffalo.  It makes it so good!  I sent a pound of buffalo and a dozen tamales home with Otter the other day.  I don't know if she's used either one of them yet, but J was very interested in anything made with buffalo.  She saw the doctor today and the stitches are gone!  She said that it itches a little still but that the doctor said it looks good.  She has to be careful for a few days and keep a bandaid on it at work.  But she does not need to go back.

OK, back to my blanket and my beagle now.

I still say it can't be any later than March!

No comments: