Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Karate Class Update

And probably a few other things as well!

Otter had her first adult level karate class last night. Aside from being absolutely exhausted by the end of class, she loved it. It's a lot harder than the previous levels but she knew that and she's not afraid of it. She is her parent's daughter, so she is not afraid of hard work! She will go the the late class for about 2 weeks, then she'll start attending an earlier class on Monday and Wednesday evenings. Earlier means 6:00 p.m. instead of 8:00 p.m. She is going to need a new Gi, which is the outfit they wear. Her current one is black & red and she can still use it, but it is the official Gi for the junior level. Since the pants legs are starting to get a little short (happens fast!) and she's still got several months to go, I think we'd better get her a new one! Adult level doesn't have a specific Gi, they can be the traditional white or black, and there are a few other choices as well. Otter probably wants a black one, which is a better choice because they get really dirty. I will see what they have available tomorrow evening, but I don't have to buy it there. The black & red one was only available at the karate school, it's a trademarked item. Until we get her a new one, she can continue to wear the old one.

On to the other stuff...

As much cleaning as I posted about, there were still quite a few things that we did but I didn't mention. I'm on a roll now, so there will be more! If Billyboy is smart, he'll find a good hiding place because I will put him to work. Quite a bit of what we did Sunday happened to be things that would raise dust and we took advantage of Otter's absence to get it done.

It was cold and windy today. It was in the 20's this morning, then it got up to the low 40's. It was a pretty day, just cold because of the strong north wind. We almost expected to see the beagle flying!

Maggie and Frasier have several toys, he's not the most playful dog in the world but she is like a puppy. Frasier will occasionally play tug but he simply refuses to fetch. Not Mags, she'll play until the cows come home! (Froggy, remember mom saying that?) At the moment, the favorite toy is an old, ragged pink washcloth I found in my quilting scraps. They played tug with it this morning for a few minutes, until Frasier lost interest. Frasier's habit is to take all the toys and chewbones outside. He doesn't seem to mind that Maggie plays with them, I don't think he's jealous. He just doesn't want them inside for some reason. We have to make regular trips outside to find all their toys and bones, and eventually they make their way outside again. I found the pink washcloth in the garage, I think Frasier must have dropped it on his way out the door. He's a good dog, but he is kind of strange!

Froggy, I actually got a little work done on my quilt over the weekend! Not much, but at least I did get a little bit accomplished. There is no way it will be done by the time you visit us this summer, but I will put a few more squares together. I went through a few boxes of stuff from Mom and Dad's in the last few weeks, I have quite a bit of clothing that was theirs and also stuff from our childhood and it will (eventually, someday when I get around to it) become quilt fabric. I will probably sew a little more on Saturday, because I won't have time before that. I still have 4 curtains to hem, the ones from the dining room window. It's so much fun to try to pin things together, I had so much help from the poochies!

I'm thinking that the Presidential election will be between Obama and McCain. I would have preferred Huckabee, but I just don't see any way at this point that he can win the nomination. I will be overjoyed that Hitlary will not be the Democratic candidate, but I'm not too thrilled with Obama. (Remember Froggy, this is my blog and you get my opinions!). But even though I'm not a big fan of his, I have to say that this recent controversy over him and the picture in African dress is really stupid. I think that most people, when they go to a different country will try on at least some part of the native dress. I do think that the picture is being deliberately misinterpreted, but I guess that's typical in election politics.

Ok, I think I'm off of my soapbox for now. But I'll be back on it again, I'm sure - and probably soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what your opinions are. You are after all your father's daughter. He had very strong opinions.We did have some great disagreements over politics. He loved to argue politics with me.
Tell Bill to plan activities all weekend so that he is not around for cleaning.
I can't wait to see the quilt.
Froggy