Tuesday, September 22, 2009

All Done!

It's taken us months, but Otter and I finally got out to the garage and reorganized our craft areas. Several months back, like in early spring or thereabouts, Bill switched out my plastic shelving unit that was beside my work bench for a metal one that he had up in the attic. The plastic was lighter, so he wanted to use it in the attic instead of the metal frame/wooden shelf unit that was up there. Otter and I took everything off the plastic shelf and it was all over the garage. Along with all my planting stuff and bird feeders, because Bill also took out two or three other shelf units that where in the garage so I had to find a home for my other, non-craft stuff. So far, so good.

Then our a/c unit messed up, and Bill wasn't sure if it was the inside unit or the outside unit. He thought it was the inside unit. Which meant that I had to move all my still unorganized and on the floor craft stuff in a hurry, because it all happened at the same time. So we literally threw some of the craft stuff on the new shelves, all over my work bench and Otter's desk she uses and in lots of other random spots. (The a/c turned out to be a minor part on the outside unit, so the mass chaotic stuff in the garage was totally unnecessary).

Then the weather got too warm to even think about doing any serious work in the garage. So it all sat where it was parked. Now that it's officially Fall (as of 4:18 p.m. today), and now that it's nice & cool out there, I decided that it was time to get busy. Otter was not amused! Tough, kiddo. :) But since some of it was her stuff, and she uses my work bench along with my paints, glue, glue gun, paint brushes, etc., I didn't feel a bit sorry for her having to do actual work!

We took everything off the shelves, bench, desk, floor, chairs, etc. And then we put it all back on the shelves. It's organized, I can find things now and I have a lot more room than my old shelves had. (FutureJediMom, you can tell Elliegant that I found the crayons!).

And I realized that I have a boatload of bird feeders. I'll probably clean them out, at least some of them are hummingbird feeders that I don't want to use any more. I've been slowly getting glass ones because glass is a whole lot easier to clean than plastic. But I didn't realize that while I was getting new, glass ones - I hadn't gotten rid of the plastic ones. I think I'm going to clean the plastic ones up a little, then see if they are donateable (is that a word?) and take them to Goodwill. Along with a few other things we found out there.

Along with the bird feeders, my plant supplies are also on the shelf. But not too much to clean out there, I did manage to get that at least cleaned out in the spring.
Now I have room to craft, I just need to find time. Maybe Saturday! When I'm not crocheting, that is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have to clean out my bird and crafting stuff that is in the garage.Kid3 and I cleaned out all the sewing/quilting stuff over the summer. Of course I have bought more since then, but it is still pretty neat.
What about Toadles outhouse for his house set? Did that ever get finished?
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

It wasn't an outhouse! You got the outhouse for him, you and I together got him the "other house" which is in a later post than this one.