Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mosquitos Suck!

And they make me itch.

We've been having a problem with them, we have been unable to figure out where they are coming from but we knew it was close by. Today, I found them.

They are in the rain barrel. I was getting water out of it, and there were lots of wrigglers coming out with the water. So Otter and I went to the hardware store and bought Mosquito Dunks. The dunks are basically a ring of pesticide granules. They float in the water and dissolve, which kills the larvae but won't do anything about the already hatched ones. When Bill opened up the barrel to drop the dunk in, a bunch of them came flying out. We swatted a few of them, then he closed it back up. We figure that there will still be some that hatch, but the dunk will start working and we won't have to deal with them too much longer. The dunks last about 30 days, but we'll probably be well past skeeter season by then. But next year, when spring comes around and we are cleaning out the rain barrel to fill up again, we're going to put a dunk in it before it even gets used. Then we'll put a new one in every 30 days.

In the meantime, we still have to deal with them. I brought at least one inside with me, it was on my arm. Now it's squished. But I'm itchy.

Froggy, if you ever get around to installing the gutters so you can put your rain barrel in - I strongly recommend Mosquito Dunks! They are safe for plants, which is what we use the rain barrel water for.

I have a serious prayer request. One of Bill's cousin's son has swine flu. I would like to ask anyone who can to pray for him, and also for his parents.

Otter and I are planning on getting our (regular) flu shots next week on Friday. The organization that we usually get them from starts next Tuesday, but because I usually have a reaction and feel cruddy for a few hours I prefer to get mine on Friday so that I can have the next day to rest if I still feel bad. I called our doctor, but she only does hers on Tuesdays. Then I called a walk-in clinic and they said that they only give shots to age 18 and over. Otter's 17 and has asthma, but apparently she would still need to be 18. So we are going to go back to our original plan and get them next Friday. Then we're going to get ice cream, since you have to get ice cream when you get a shot, and then probably stop at Subway to get dinner to bring home. By the way Froggy, the ice cream will most likely be in the form of a pie. Strawberry Cheesecake, if we can find it. Do I need to tell you where it will come from? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that there was a screen you put over your water barrel and that would stop the squitas?

You know bragging about Braums is so beneath you. It is bad enough that you go you don't have to rub it in. I would never do that.
Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Yes, there is a screen. Which is why we were so surprised that they were in the barrel in the first place.

And yes, you would brag about Braum's. Remember those text messages to your kiddos when you and I were at Braum's on one of your visits? Or does that not count because YOU WERE THE ONE DOING IT! (I'm ducking and running now).