Thursday, October 01, 2009

September Books and Other Stuff (Edited)

September's book list:

1. Beating Back the Devil, On the Front Lines with the Desease Detectives of the Epidemic Intellegence Service by Mayn McKenna. Long title. Very good book, I learned a lot from this one.

2. Simple Crochet by Erika Night. Not impressed!

3. Cozy Crochet - 26 Fun Projects From Fashion to Home Decor by Melissa Leapman. I got a couple of ideas from this one.

4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Book 6. Many times re-run. I started re-reading the series last month, but I read it out of order. Now I'm finished. For the moment, I'll read it again.

5. Dear Laura, Letters From Children to Laura Ingalls Wilder. This one was fun.

6. 24 Hour Crochet Projects by Rita Weiss. A few ideas.

7. New Ideas for Today's Crochet by Jean Leinhauser & Rita Weiss. Not much new in this one!

8. Stitch and B_tch Crochet, The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. I might buy this one, there were several interesting patterns in it. And for the record, if you want to insult someone who crochets then you call them a hooker. It's not a "nice" insult, it's a real one.

9. True Blue Police Stories by Those Who Lived Them, by Sgt. Randy Sutton. Very interesting and informative.

10. Easy Living Crochet edited by Carol Alexander. Not much.

11. Sensual Crochet, Luxurious Yarns/Alluring Designs by Amy Swenson. Not much at all, except for the fact that there were lots of pictures and some of them were swimsuits - which Bill liked and wants me to make. (No!)

12. Lark Kid's Crafts Crochet by Jane Davis. Every so often, I like to look at beginner or basic books because they sometimes have patterns I haven't seen. This one didn't have too much but it would be a good book for anyone of any age who wanted to learn.

13. Crocheting School, a Complete Course. This was a refresher for me, see comments on # 12. But I learned a few things I didn't know from this one.

14. Cursed by Carol Higgins Clark. Fluff, as usual. I read her books when I just want something to read but not anything heavy. It wasn't as good as her earlier books in this series, which is saying something!

15. The Secret by Beverly Lewis. Part one, I have ordered the next book in the series from the library but there is a long waiting list. I hope it comes before I forget this one! It was not as good as other books by this author.

16. Mortal Danger by Ann Rule. I've read this one before. Ms. Rule is one of my internet friends, I correspond with her and she is a very interesting person. The subject of the main story of this book is also someone I've corresponded with. This book is more scary than some of the other books Ann has written, it deals with spouses who aren't quite what they appear to be and has some very good information.

17. The Zombie Survival Guide, Complete Protection From the Living Dead by Max Brooks. This is one that Otter suggested I read, it was really a lot of fun. It's written as if it's a serious book, and it was really funny. There are a couple of other books written like this one and I think I'm going to see if I can find them. Very entertaining!

18. Coming Home by David Lewis. He's Beverly Lewis' husband and this book was good, but somewhat predictable.

19. When Men Become Gods by Stephen Singular. This book deals with the FLDS. It's a true story, actually several different stories, and very good. I'm actually still reading it, but I'm nearly through so it's on the September list. There are a lot of books that deal with the FLDS, and I have read quite a few. (Later edit: I see from looking back that this book was on an earlier list. I think I did read it before, but I'm not sure if I actually finished it. I think I thought that I had finished it because I was getting it confused with another book, and it was returned to the library before I was actually finished. I did read the entire book this time.)

Not as many books as last month, but we've had the rent house to keep us occupied.

Regarding skeeters, Froggy commented about a filter screen. Yes, I have one. Which is why we didn't look at the rain barrel when we first started to see/hear/feel more of the little suckers. I've killed a few of them today and there are still more. But they won't last forever. At least I hope not!

Since it's October, Otter and I put our ceramic jack-0-lantern pumpkins out on the front porch just now. We are probably not going to have candy this year, because there really are not many kids in the neighborhood that are old enough or young enough to still trick or treat. We had very few last year. Of course, if I don't buy candy this year we'll be inundated with kids ringing the doorbell even though the porch light will be out! But we're still going to the pumpkin patch, tomorrow after school. The one we like has a lot of animals and it's always fun to feed them.

I'm glad that it's nearly Friday. It's been an odd week, we've both been very busy but it feels like we haven't gotten anything accomplished at all. We are all very much in need of a Saturday!

No comments: