Friday, October 09, 2009

Shot. Warm. Friday.

We got our flu shots this afternoon. I checked, and since I had not had fever nor actually thrown up they said I was safe to get the shot. So I picked Otter up at school and we went "around the corner" to the grocery store where the visiting nurse association was holding a shot clinic. They go to most area grocery stores and we usually go to the one closer to home, but the news made an announcement this morning about shortages of flu shots because it was running out already. Which it isn't! I asked about that when we were getting our shots, they said that once the news report hit they were immediately inundated. If the aim of the media was to encourage people to get the shot, they succeeded. We usually get ours as early as we can anyway. I kind of expected a run on them this year, with the hysteria over the swine flu. It's one we don't want, but we have decided against the shots for it. Just the regular flu shots for us this year.

I let Bill make the decision on this one, but I agree with his reasoning. The swine flu immunization has simply not been out long enough nor been tested enough for us to feel safe about it. It's not available here yet, anyway.

It's been very cool today, it was in the 50's all day. Grey, overcast sky and rain throughout the morning. It's going to be in the 30's tonight. Probably the high 30's, but still the 30's. So we turned on the heater just now. I don't like the smell of the dust burning off, but a friend of mine told me once that he thought it was the best scent in the world - because he knew that once he smelled that, he would be warm soon. Good point. We don't usually need the heater quite this early, but this year is colder earlier than normal.

I'm going to get the humidifiers loaded up and turned on shortly. I've been shocking myself for a few days now. The dogs have probably already gotten their spot staked out, they get right in front of the heater vent in the living room and snooze. Sometimes we have to move them out of the way!

We had Subway for dinner tonight. I like to make it easy on flu shot day, since I usually feel cruddy all evening. I don't feel the best at the moment, but it's tolerable. It's the normal reaction I have. My arm is a little sore, which is also normal. Otter usually has some arm soreness but not much else in the way of reaction. And there is ice cream pie in the freezer, which we'll get into a little later. Nobody has room for dessert! Froggy, if you were here I would share it with you. But since you aren't here, I'll have to eat yours for you.

No comments: