Monday, October 05, 2009

My Find of the Year!

Fenton, obviously! I mean, what else did you expect from me? :)

I have been looking for a particular pattern for months. Many months. I've seen it once, at Salvation Army in the case where they keep the good stuff. That particular time, it was priced appropriatly. Which is way more than I will generally pay. So, I kept looking. And looking. And looking some more. Today, I found it.

Anyway, back to the story. I was looking for something else, for a project Froggy and I have going (be afraid Toadly!). I usually have seen a lot of the thing(s) I was looking for, but not now that I'm actually trying to find them. I was about to give up when I spotted something. Something that I had to look at a few times to accept what I was seeing. And then I immediately grabbed it!

It's in absolutely perfect, exquisite condition. The pattern is Cactus, Fenton produced it from 1959 to 1963. It's fairly rare, and even rarer in opalescent vaseline. Vaseline is greenish, it glows when exposed to a black light. It glows because it was produced with a slight amount of radioactive material in the glass, but it's not going to set off any geiger counters! I have a few other pieces of vaseline, but only one of them is Fenton and that one is actually Otter's.

Did I mention that it was $2.00? And it was at the Salvation Army where they usually have the good stuff in the locked cabinet (and usually overpriced). I think the pricing expert must have been off the day that this came in. Not that I'm complaining!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful and a fantastic price
Froggy