Thursday, October 08, 2009

Thursday, Fall Thoughts, Bugs, Weather, Dogs!

It's Thursday. I will be glad when it's Friday, but we aren't there yet.

It's Fall. And we have the Weather to prove it. Cool & misty, with periods of rain. We have a good chance of hard rain this afternoon, the tv stations are already putting flash flood watches up but that doesn't always mean anything. As Bill says, they couldn't predict a hole in the ground if they dug it themselves... By the way, a lot of what I put here is stuff that comes from Bill.

Bugs refers to the fact that we are passing some type of tummy bug around. It's already been around the office, but I think I got it from Bill. Who knows where he got it from, but he came down with it before I did and although both of my bosses have had it, they have not been in the office too much so I really haven't been around them. Yesterday, Bill woke up with it at 3:00 a.m. and then as an indication of how bad he really felt, he asked me to stay home with him. I started having symptoms last night, but not severe. Just enough nausea that I'm being very careful because I don't want it to get worse! So I decided to stay home today and take it easy, I'd like to avoid the worst symptoms if I can. Otter may have already had it, she had some symptoms a few days ago. But we are still planning on getting the flu shots tomorrow, having an ongoing bug might mean more of a reaction but it's a risk we have to take at this point. The flu is already starting to show up in this area, and there is also a possibility of not being able to get the shot if we wait since there are a lot of people getting it this year. Froggy - Otter and I have already been to Braum's and there is a strawberry cheesecake ice cream pie in the freezer. Billyboy hasn't found it yet, there was just barely enough room to hide it behind all the soups, beans, etc., that I have frozen in containers for him to take for lunch. Of course, we also bought a carton of neopolitan which served as a good distraction for him!

What's left? Oh yeah, Dogs! Well, in this case it means that both of them are causes for concern but for different reasons. Frasier's foot is a little swollen, the area on his foot looks a little bigger and redder but some of the hair might have grown back. I'm going to have to talk to the vet about it.

Maggie, well she's another story. She went through a spell very recently where she apparently forgot that she was housebroken. We're pretty sure that it started because she does not like to go outside when it's raining, because her "accidents" only seemed to happen when it was rainy. We were not really sure which dog it was, then Otter caught Maggie in the act. Since then, she hasn't had any more on purpose accidents that we know of, but there is a smell in the house that we've been trying to track down and it can only be one thing. Bill decided to get the blacklight that we used when we were selling on eBay, it illuminated glass items wonderfully. Blacklight also illuminates other things, including dog urine. Well, we found it alright. EVERYWHERE. It looks like that furry little brat has been having on purpose accidents for a long time, and probably not just because of rain. Some of the spots are obviously pretty old, but the majority of them seem to be new. Maggie had taken to sleeping in our closet and under our bed - and both places have huge areas. There are spots by the back door in the living room, in Otter's room, all over the place. We are going to have to steam-clean the entire house. We will probably buy a steam cleaner instead of renting one. I am not sure if I need to talk to the vet or not, since we don't think Maggie's done it since Otter caught her. But it is one of the symptoms of diabetes in dogs. It's not the only symptom, there are others, but she doesn't seem to have any of the other symptoms. However, it is something we need to watch her about.
Because it is Fall, it won't be long until it's Winter. Everyone I've talked to seems to think that we'll have an early winter and a bad one. I'm kind of thinking that as well. I have already started my storm supply stock up. I have a few days worth of canned food and misc. stuff on hand, it has come in handy when we've been unable to get to the grocery store due to ice and so forth. I'm not obsessive about it, it's not like we could survive for months on it, but it's nice to have. Canned stew, chili, soup, crackers, peanut butter, candles, matches, stuff along those lines. And also a little bit of dog food, can't forget about the poochies no matter how much they drive us crazy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should talk to the vet about Maggie. She could have an infection. Remember when I was there we wondered if she had gone on the bed cover. We could not be sure at the time, but it was wet.
Hope you feel better soon.
IT is so bratty to brag about Braums, I would never do that.
You need some candy (chocolate/ carob) in your winter stock and flashlights and batteries. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

Yes, I remember when Maggie did that. But when she licks something, it smells a certain way and I think she did lick the bed cover. But this is different.

Chocolate/carob is going to be in my emergency supplies from now on! I can't believe I didn't think of that already.