Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cold Birds

We got the forecasted snow & ice overnight.  Wow, they got it right!  Statistically, they have to get it right at least some of the time I guess.  I'm not sure how much snow we got, I'd guess a couple of inches and came down until mid-morning.  There is ice underneath the snow, freezing rain & sleet came in first.  The paper was delivered, which surprised me.  When I went out to get it, all the way at the end of the yard, the ground was very crunchy in places because of the ice under the snow and slick in other spots.  The tire tracks from the paper delivery vehicle were already covered up.  I don't know how much snow we actually got, but I don't think it was more than a couple of inches.  The problem was the ice, not the snow.

When I went out later in the afternoon to check the mailbox, the street was partially thawed.  The yard was still icy & crunchy, and there were kitty prints all over the driveway.  Along with bird prints.

I have been looking out the dining room window at the birds.  At one point, there were something like 5 male cardinals and 6 females.  There have also been sparrows & chickadees, I've seen "regular" doves and also a ringnecked dove.  We don't get too many ringnecked doves.  There are red-winged blackbirds as well as another bird I haven't identified yet.  It looks similar to a sparrow but it's a lot larger.  There are a few varieties of sparrow, that's probably what it is but I haven't looked up info on the internet yet.  The starlings were around, but not in huge numbers - not that I'm complaining about small numbers of starling vermin!  I haven't seen the woodpecker today, but he'll probably show up sooner or later.  He likes the suet feeder, which also had a cardinal on it this morning and then two starlings fought over it.

Since we're all home today, I made waffles for breakfast.  I made extra, they get put in the freezer and then popped in the toaster whenever somebody wants one.

Our lunch plans were hot dogs, at Bill's request.  He roasted them in the fireplace.  They were pretty good, actually.  I think he just likes playing with fire.  :)

This post mostly seem to be about food today!

I guess I'd better change the subject.

I know!  Crochet!  (Bet you didn't see that one coming).  :)

I am working on hats today.  I've made two today, that will make three that I've done, in my quest to de-stash.  I have gift plans for them, as well as a few other ones.  They are easy and go fast.  I still have one more that I want to make, then I'll see about a few other de-stash projects.

It never got above freezing today, and I expect that the roads will be dicey tomorrow morning.  But I'm planning on going to work anyway and if school is open then I'll take Otter on the way in.  Bill and I both woke up at 4:30 this morning, hopefully tomorrow we'll at least get to sleep until 5:00 when the alarm goes off.  Otter's school was the last to announce closing this morning, but I expect school to be open tomorrow.

At least tomorrow is Friday.  That's always a good thing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waffles sound good. I am going to go hunt in the cabinets for a waffle maker. But I think kid2 took it with him. I like waffles and pancakes for supper. That will be supper one night this week. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I think we need a bigger waffle maker, two at a time takes too long and we either eat in shifts or they are cold before we can all eat!