Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday Madness **(EDITED)

People are crazy.  We've known for several days that there was a very good chance of a winter storm.  But what do people do?

They wait until the last minute to run to the store and stock up, that's what they do.  And the last minute is today.

I decided to fill up my car this morning, and it was just me and one other person.  Nice older gentlemen, we had a nice chat about how it was so easy this morning but would be so overcrowded this afternoon.  This afternoon, there were lines at every station I passed by.

I realized this morning that we were running low on dog food, so Otter and I stopped on the way to school this morning.  Not too crowded, we got in and out quickly.  This afternoon, it looks like all the store parking lots are full to the point of not having enough spaces left!

I did have to run into Wallyworld for one thing that I just wanted to get, my thought was that if the lot looked busy I could skip it.  But I couldn't see the lot from the street unless I actually turned towards it, because it's behind some other buildings.  So, I turned down the street and the lot was full.  This store is situated where my only choice was to actually drive through the lot, it borders a neighborhood and the streets are one-way in that area.  So we (Otter was with me) turned in and managed to snag a fairly good parking space on our way to the exit.  So we parked, ran inside and got what we wanted and managed to get out quickly.  But that was a fluke, because all the check out lanes were packed.

What were people buying?

Storm staples:  B-M-T!  (BreadMilkTolietpaper for anyone who doesn't know the Oklahoma Winter Weather Code Words for Storm Intensity).

The post office was really crowded, but that might be normal for after 4:00.  I had to mail a few things that couldn't wait, but we were in and out in 20 minutes.  (Froggy, the hats should be there Wednesday more or less - don't cut the box open!)

It does sound like we are going to get Winter.  How much and how soon, that's anybody's guess.  The school district Bill works for has already announced for tomorrow, so he's off.  In all probability, Otter and I will be home with him.  At least tomorrow.  But that's not certain yet.

We brought the bird feeders in.  They will get filled and taken out in the morning.  We don't want to take them back out tonight because we've had enough of chipping ice off of them so that the birds can get to the seed.  We don't want to fill them tonight because we've also had enough of having to clean up after a dog got sick from eating too much birdseed!  The feeders are parked on the table, but Frasier is tall enough that he could probably get at least one off of the table.

No use tempting fate, dog's too smart for his own good.

**EDIT: Otter's school has also announced for tomorrow. And shortly after that, my boss called me and told me not to come in tomorrow. So, we're all home on Tuesday.  And maybe Wednesday, depending on the storm duration and temperatures.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fire in the fireplace, hot chocolate or whatever, marshmallows, crocheting, reading, have fun.
I will not cut open the box.
We could have snow flurries or snow Thursday night Friday am. This is rodeo/stock show time so we have to have bad weather. Froggy