Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Steak-ing My Claim

Well, it sounds like a good title anyway!  It's a play on the word Steak and Staking.  On account of we just had dinner.  And it was steak.

It's # 26 this year, not a "big" anniversary but we celebrate them all.  We went with the default celebration meal:  steaks, baked potatoes & green beans.  We have ice cream, but nobody has any room for it at the moment.  (Relax Froggy - it's not Braum's!).

I am still de-stashing, but I have bought yarn lately.  I have a project in mind, I'm not quite ready to start on it but I'm getting there.  I'm not quite sure what it's going to be, either a shawl or a scarf but it's more of a spring-type garment.  I found the yarn on sale, so I went ahead and bought it.  It'll keep!  It's a teal blue and it's a smaller-gauge yarn, as well as a very soft yarn.  I went to a thrift store today and came home with more yarn, but again it's for a specific project.  I had been wanted to get a certain type of smaller gauge cotton yarn for a couple of specific items, and I found some today at a thrift.  In a bag with a whole bunch of other stuff, mostly yarn (OK, all yarn!) and for $3.98 (the cost of one cotton skein if I could find it on sale), I got 3 or 4 skeins of cotton, three skeins of a very fluffy & soft yarn (polyester? I can't remember) a bag with a bunch of ribbon yarn (neat stuff!) and the really fun part is the 7 or 8 skeins of very expensive french yarn that is almost as fine as a small gauge (jewelry) chain and very slippery.  Several of the french yarn skeins were tangled, Otter and I attacked it and got it all detangled.  Each skein is now in a seperate baggie.  No idea what I'm going to do with it, but it's not cheap yarn and I got it for nearly nothing.  I also bought a second $3.98 bag that did have yarn in it, but it had a bunch of stuff I thought Otter would want (which she absolutely does) so I got it as well.  The 2nd bag has some yarn, but it's a big tangled mess and I'll eventually take it apart.  It also had several pieces that are already made, and a whole bunch of sewing stuff for the kiddo.

Think I need to stay out of the thrift store for a while!  I was actually looking for components for a craft project I have in mind.  But yarn rules...

I have de-stashed.  I used a lot of spare yarn on Bill's blanket, and I've been finding things to make out of yarn that I've had for a while.  I've also donated a small amount.  Then I discovered something:  the alpaca yarn I bought a while back makes me itch!  It took a while, I held it for a longer time than I would have been able to hold wool, but my skin still reacted.  So, it went into the donate pile. :(

Speaking of yarn.  (Yeah, I know.)  I've decided to abandon the Dr. Who scarf.  I never really wanted to make one, Bill really wanted me to make one but Otter had no interest in wearing it.  While it would be a way to use up spare yarn, it would also use up quite a bit of time that I'd rather use on projects that are actually wanted or needed.  I thought about frogging it, but I decided to just tie off and leave it as it is.  Maybe someday I'll work on it again, but it can also be used in a different way than as a scarf.

Anyway, with that in mind:


(Otter, this one is just for you!)

Otter was home today.  She woke up with what was probably a migraine.  She had the headache all day, she had motrin, chicken soup and rest.  She's feeling better but they can be very debilitating.  She hasn't had a bad one in a while.

OK, I might have room for that ice cream now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not Braums ice cream? How can it be a celebration?
The lady doth protest to much! This is about the destaching. It sounds like you are not destaching, just rebuilding, only with specific projects in mind. Enjoy the yarn!
We need to keep praying for Toadles father-in-law. Froggy

Otter Mom said...

I just logged on, but I was about to post a prayer request.

I am destashing. I've cleaned out a lot more than I've brought in. And some of what I got yesterday was moused, so it was tossed. I'm not really sure about the french yarn, it's wonderful but might be too difficult to work with so it might get put on eBay or re-donated. The second bag was mostly sewing stuff & ribbon, which was for Otter's own stash. She has almost as much craft & sewing stuff as I have yarn.