Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday Pillows

Actually, it should be pillow cases because that is the latest sewing project we have.  I told Bill that we needed new ones, which we do - badly.  Bill said that they would be cheaper to make, which I know isn't right.  So Otter and I went to the fabric store for material for pillow cases.  The cheapest cotton fabric I could find was $4.99/yard and it takes 1 1/2 yards per pillow case.  Do the math, and it comes out to $7.49 per pillow case and would be a little more if I had to buy thread.  Next time, I'm just going to go buy some new ones!  Because Bill is allergic to polyester, it has to be 100% cotton fabric but I don't think poly/cotton or another blend would have been any cheaper anyway.

Otter's going to do the actual sewing for me, she wants the practice although they should be fairly easy as they are just straight seams.  But she likes to sew and hasn't had anything to sew lately, so she's happy.

Froggy, the sock monkey hat came out perfectly!  It's adorable.  Or will be, as soon as I get all the pieces attached.  Among other things, we had to go buy buttons to use as the eyes.  As soon as it's all together, I'll post pictures on the craft blog.  And then I'll get started on yours.  It's really cute.  I don't really like to sell my creations, but I might sell this one because I have a feeling it's going to get noticed a lot.

I had to get a new cell phone Friday.  The one I had was having problems charging and the service tech said it was the charging port.  They had to order me a new one, it came in Friday and it seems to be working ok.  Same number, same phone.  But I had to reset my ring tones and the pictures I had on the other one did not transfer, so I'm having to take new pictures to assign to my contacts.  Otter was happy to pose for me again, she always is happy for an excuse to wear her cat ears!

It's not exactly a lazy Sunday, but it's not a busy one either.  I am doing laundry, but that's a necessity.  Bill's working on a pachinko refurbish (it's a commission job for someone), but mostly we're just hanging around the house and doing whatever.  I'm sure the dogsters are sleeping, that seems to be what they do best.  Otter was in her room while ago, she might be playing Wii or watching a movie.  I'm going to play around on the internet for a while, then I think I'll go assemble a sock monkey hat.  And probably start on the next one.

I may post a lot this week, or I might not.  It just depends!  Mostly, we're just looking forward to not having to get up at 5:00 a.m.!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but the dogs get hungry at 5:00 am. How can you sleep while your poor dogs starve? Froggy

Otter Mom said...

No, the dog's alarm (their bellies) is set for 5:30. That gives us time to get up and take a fast shower before they expect their meal to be served. Although they did let us sleep in a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, until 6:30. But that was probably because they didn't wake up until then!

Anonymous said...

How are you making your pillowcases? The ones I've made have used slightly less than a yard.
KN#3

Otter Mom said...

We have king sized pillows and the case size is the same as what we have on the pillows now. I was surprised when I measured, at how big they actually are.