Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Thrifting

I want one:


And one of these would be just fine:


Anybody care to guess what it is?  (Hint:  It's not what it looks like).

Bill survived the Big Birthday.  We had his b-day dinner Friday night, he chose fajitas which I picked up on the way home.  El Chico really makes good food, their fajitas are so good.  Otter made him a pineapple upside-down cake yesterday, I think that there might still be some left...  For Father's Day, we're making buffalo burgers with oven fries and are going to make ice cream this evening.

Bill does not generally get one big present, they are separate days and should both be observed.  However, he wanted pachinko $$ this year so that's what he got.  I know all about combination gifts and frankly, they suck.  Most of the time.  So I usually don't give combination presents, unless specifically requested.

Otter and I went to a couple of thrift stores this afternoon.  She found a few things.  I found a few things.  So it was a happy trip.  I'd been wanting a large, cast-iron pot to plant cactus in but decided that they were just too big and heavy as I wouldn't be leaving it outside during the winter.  I found a small one at a thrift store today and it even had the lid with it.  I have a cactus that needs a place to be transplanted and now it's going to have a home.

We probably would have gone thrifting anyway today, but Otter was in serious need of shopping therapy.  She and BF broke up last weekend.  Well, he actually broke it off (by text), changed his mind and then went kind of stalker-ish on her when she didn't want to get back together.  It was an interesting week, to say the least!  At any rate, she's not in a hurry to find another boyfriend right now.  (She's fine, by the way).  She had been thinking that it might be time to break up with him anyway, she said he was getting way too serious about her and that it was making her uncomfortable.  It was just tacky the way he did it, and everything else he did/said/threatened to do this week just kind of made it weird.

We went to Lowe's after church this morning, Otter got several plants including peppermint, spearmint and a bell pepper.  I got several flowering plants including two lantanas and a few other things.  I have one small lantana on the back deck and the hummingbirds love it.  The jalepeno plants seemed to have stopped producing, but they are putting out blooms again.  We've gotten a few peppers from them but not too many.  And the bluebonnet is doing well, it's a little tall but it's surviving.  It has one bloom and possibly another bud starting.  Otter took a couple of pictures for me yesterday but I haven't gotten them uploaded yet.

Froggy, I started your swiffer cover yesterday!  I had another project I had to get done first, Otter requested a scarf and hat for a friend of her's who is having a birthday party next week.  They are both done, but we still need to get the scarf fringed.  After I get your swiffer cover finished, I'm going to start on Otter's next hat:  it's a sock monkey hat!  I had started one for her earlier based on a pattern I downloaded, but the pattern was for a child-sized hat although it was advertised as a larger size.  I frogged it out, it was just a few rows anyway and am going to use the hat pattern I normally make.  What makes it a sock monkey is the colors used and the face/ears being attached.

Oh, the picture at the top?  While it does look like a miniature hippo, it's actually a hairless guinea pig!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a sock monkey hat. Froggy

Alexandra said...

Happy 50th to your hubby! Sadly, I'll be 50 way before my husband. I robbed the cradle. ;0 giggle. Seriously, he is only five years younger.