Monday, June 27, 2011

When Did NE OK Turn Into S TEXAS?

It hit 104 today.  In a neighboring town, it hit 105.  We're very close to the neighboring town (less than 1/2 mile), so I think we were probably about 105 as well.

It's hot enough to even make a TEXAN yell uncle!  Or at least keep the a/c cranked.  The dogs have spent most of their day snoozing, which is normal, but they've been even less active today.  Although Maggie did have a spell of playing with one of her tug toys this afternoon.  But mostly, they've been sleeping.  And haunting the kitchen, since we made pizza with the bread machine for dinner tonight (and tomorrow lunch).

It was nice this morning, mid-80's.  I watered all the plants well since it was already getting warm, then Bill and I both worked out in the garage for a couple of hours.  I got my workbench & shelf cleaned off and organized (again).  Bill did a lot of things that involved noise, I think he was casting parts for the pachinko machines and he also was working on stripping the varnish off the desk we got at a yardsale a month or so back.  We also took my car for an oil change, then when it was ready we took the White Lightning and left it for it's turn.  Somewhere in there, it got hot.  Really hot.  It got to somewhere around 108 in the state today.

We're used to it, but we don't have to like it!

However, Otter and I did have some much needed Girl Time:  we went shopping!  Specifically, we went thrifting.  We went to the library first, then had some stuff to donate to Goodwill and since we were already there, we had to go inside and see what we could find.  I mean, really, we couldn't have just dropped of our stuff and left.  That wouldn't have been polite to all the nice people who work there, and we just couldn't be rude.  So we shopped. :)

I made what is probably my major find for the year at Goodwill today, in fact.  For $15.00, I found a genuine Coach purse.  It's green suede, which is really what I wanted - I don't really like the purses with all the big C's on them, they look kind of gaudy to me.  I've always liked the more understated ones, and leather is always a big draw.  For a leather purse, $15.00 was a great deal.  But for a genuine, honest to goodness, real Coach bag - $15.00 is practically free!  I showed it to Otter and the first thing out of her mouth was "you are going to buy it, right?  Because you have to, you know."  I did not disagree with her!  Coach purses are very expensive, but they are also worth it because they are extremely well-made and last for years and years.  They run several hundred dollars, new and even the used ones can be a few hundred.  They are also frequently counterfieted, so I've educated myself on what to look for and have seen several at thrift stores that are fakes.  But this one isn't, it's the real deal and I'm very happy with it.

Tomorrow, we're going to take some stuff to the Salvation Army to donate.  I'm sure we'll shop there as well.  But I don't expect to find another spectacular deal like today's.

Day one of vacation has been a good day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

pictures? froggy

Otter Mom said...

Eventually

Alexandra said...

Nice find! I didn't find a coach, but I did find a nice Longaberger arm bag. It was the perfect size for me.I had no idea they made purses. Maybe it's a consultant item.

Otter Mom said...

I didn't realize that Longaberger made bags either. Good for you!