Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bill Got His Wish

It snowed.  Lots of snow.  It started early and stayed all day.  And it's all gone from the streets by now, but it's still on the grassy areas.

OK, let me back up.  We knew we had a good chance of winter weather as of a couple of days ago, but the forecast was never certain.  At one point, it was supposed to start early last night, then it was middle of the night and then it was by daybreak today.  At daybreak, the forecast had changed again and it was now supposed to start around 7:00 a.m.  We were hoping for the first or second one, because we'd have prefered not having to go in today!  Bill left for work at 6:15, it was very cold but dry.  At 7:00, Otter and I left the house and ran into Wallyworld for a couple of things.  At 7:15, we walked out of Wallyworld and the snow was just starting.  I dropped Otter off at Braums, she had something to eat and then walked across the parking lot to her job for her shift starting at 9:30.  I went on to work and by the time I got there, it was starting to come down heavy and beginning to stick on the street.  (Our jobs are literally down the street from each other; if her hours are similar to mine then I take her to work.  Also, if the weather is iffy I will take her.  Anyway, the weather was iffy today!)

I got to work about 8:10, even though it should have only taken me 10 - 15 minutes tops, it took me closer to 30 - 40 minutes and mostly it was because of traffic.  The weather obviously had something to do with it, but Okies in general seem to regard bad weather/road conditions as a challenge and so they drive worse.  I parked my car in the street as opposed to my parking space because my space is on a sloping driveway.  About 20 minutes later, the teenager called me to tell me that he'd decided not to attempt to come in today (he listened to us for once!) and to move my car into the garage since he wouldn't be using it.  By this time, my car went from just barely having any snow that I could see to being completely covered and piled a couple of inches high.  I broomed the bulk of the snow off, and pulled into the garage - by the time I got into the garage (less than 3 minutes!), I couldn't even see the color of my car anymore due to the snow.

(OK, I'm back.  Had to go check the clothing in the dryer.)

My car spent the day in the garage, it liked it and now feels deprived because it never gets garaged at home!

The snow was pretty heavy almost all day, and it looked pretty thick.  I'm not sure what we actually got, but the snow on the grassy areas was a couple of inches thick.  I left about 30 minutes early, but the roads were actually good by that point.  I ran into Hobby Lobby for something Bill needed, got Otter when she got off work and then we went to Wallyworld for groceries.  I should have gotten groceries last night, but I was too tired.  I figured that I'd better go tonight, while I had the chance so we headed straight there.  In and out in just over 30 minutes, with a basketful of groceries.  I think that's a new world record!

The streets were not icy when we got home, but they were very wet and it will be well below freezing tonight.  I'll take Otter in tomorrow as well, her shift starts at 9:30 (I think.)  I am not going to be in a hurry, since the roads will in all probability be bad.  I'll get her there in time, and I'll get to work when I get there.  If the schools are closed, Bill will probably call in.  If the streets are not safe for the buses, it's kind of silly to expect all the other employees to show up but that is what happens where he works (for one of the local school districts.)

Anyway, I'm going to head to the living room now and see what the couch is doing.  It might be trying to fly away, so I will have to go keep that from happening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

better you than me.
Froggy