Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Busy Few Days

I just realized that I haven't posted anything since Sunday and it's Wendesday already.  Before Froggy gets on me, I thought I'd better get busy.

Froggy, I guess we're even now.  I text you about Braums and you make sure I knew you went to SA and ate lunch at the Hole in the Wall!  I guess we're even.  But only for the moment.  Insert evil grin here.

Otter's got a job, she started work on Monday.  I decided against naming the place here.  It is not Radio Shack, where she was pretty much promised a job that didn't actually exist at that particular store - I named them because there are so many and they are all over the place.  She did get a call from one of the other two Radio Shack locations where the manager of the first store sent her application to, but she found a job before the interview that was scheduled.  She's working in a store, it's a nationwide chain but there are not a lot of them in our area so no names.  But she's enjoying it.  When we thought she was going to get hired at Radio Shack, we bought her a pair of nice black slacks.  So of course the uniform she has to wear now is not black pants!  It's kahki pants with a black shirt.  Figures.  But the black slacks will be worn, they just won't be worn to work.  She also has to wear either black shoes or white tennis shoes.  She has black shoes, but they are not comfortable to be on her feet all day so we're probably going to get her another pair tomorrow.  She won't complain about having to get another pair of shoes!  She's in training this week.  Her job is actually not too far from where I work.  I have taken her some, mostly yesterday because she had to work until 9:30 p.m. and winter made it's appearance (briefly.)  Since she hasn't had any experience at all driving in snow or ice and we knew the forecast included a winter storm, she wanted me to take her to work yesterday.  Well, she actually drove us there.  Then I went on to work myself - takes me forever to get the mirrors back where I like them after Otter drives!  The rain turned into snow about 8:30, so the manager told her that she could leave at 9:00 instead of 9:30, and it was plenty cold.  The temperature was hovering right at freezing and the roads were ok in places but iffy in others, so I'm glad that she didn't even attempt to drive.  The snow didn't stick and today was nice, warm and dry.

The point of all that was to say that Otter is now gainfully employed, and she's happy about it.  She opened a checking account last week, but she said that she won't really feel like an adult until a year from now - when she has to file income taxes!

We don't do a whole lot for Valentine's Day.  We never have, with the exception of the fact that Bill and I got engaged on our first Valentine's Day together.  We usually have a special meal of some type - frequently steak!  I generally get us a little candy, usually chocolate for me and Bill and Otter gets non-chocolate candy which she sometimes picks out or requests a specific kind.  Tomorrow, Otter's schedule is 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. so we'll be able to all eat dinner together.  I let Otter pick this time, she chose Digorno's pizzas since we haven't had them in a while.  Bill always wants steak, so we don't ask him to pick unless we also want steak!  I made brownies tonight which we will eat tomorrow and I'll probably make ice cream then as well.

I finished my 3rd scarf, started the 4th one yesterday and finished it this morning.  I'm going to stop at 4, I had planned on at least 5 but Bill's just about ready for me to start cleaning the pachinko machine that he bought for our family project.  It entails a lot of detail work, and it's going to play havoc with my tendonitis so I'm probably not going to get a whole lot of crochet done over the next few days.  I'll probably take the 4 scarves to the yarn shop tomorrow.  I changed my basic pattern slightly and I think it works better.  I did manage to use up quite a bit of yarn, which was actuall a good thing.

Although I probably still have more yarn than the law allows!

No comments: