Sunday, February 17, 2013

Early Spring

Springtime means two things:  Storms and Allergies.  No storms yet!  Hopefully not for a while, or ever actually.  (I don't mean no rain, I mean no SpringLikeStorms!)  However, the allergies are here in force already.  I've been fighting mine off & on for a while, and yesterday I started feeling the first signs of an asthma spell trying to start.  I woke up with no doubt that the asthma bug had come to visit, but it's a fairly mild one at least.  Hope it stays that way!

Of course, it's still not officially Spring for a few weeks.  But that's not stopping the bugs, both insect type and allergy type.  I had to take a stink bug out the other day, it was crawling around the office floor so I relocated it out the front door.

Otter's gone to her friend's house, they have a semi-regular Sunday tradition of Dungeons & Dragons.  They don't always get together every Sunday, it depends on various schedules but they do try to get together as much as they can.

Otter's off from work today and tomorrow.  She works Tuesday through Friday this week, then she's off next weekend.  She said that the new shoes are much better, her feet didn't start to feel tired until she'd been on her feet at work for several hours.  She likes the job, also.  I think that she'll be good at sales.

I never quite got around to that drink on Friday night.  I did get the feet propped up, at least.  But I managed to get a start on the lap blanket for Nana.  Not a big start, but I got a few rows.  It's still really small, obviously.  I might get some time to work on it this week.

Book Review:  A Week in Winter, by Maeve Binchey.  This is one that I never wanted to end, both because it was just so good and because it's the last thing that she wrote before she died last summer.  It was not exactly part of her earlier "series" of books but it did have a few connections in the form of character mentions.  Her series books were not really a series in the sense that they carried a plot arch, but they did center around a place & group of people, and I think that she might have been about to start another series with this book.  Her earlier books were stand-alone stories and were very good, but I think I enjoyed her series books more.  She was a major talent and she will be missed so much.  At some point, I'm going to re-read all of her books in order of being written.  I now have the complete set, at least what was released in the US.  There are a few other things she wrote that were not released here, but I think that they are mainly short stories and one is a writer's guide.  I'll probably read it too.  There is one book that might be a sort of autobiography, it deals with aging and health issues connected with it.  I'll eventually find them, even if I have to order them from a bookseller in Europe.  She was too good a write to leave anything unread.

No comments: