Sunday, February 10, 2013

Nesting

Remember this?


This was from last spring or possibly the year before.  On the front porch, in the planter that was on Mom's back porch.  I put a small, clay pot with fake ivy in it.  The last two years, it's had a bird build a nest in it.  Possibly the same bird each time, or both wrens.  I kind of forgot about it until today, when I realized that the birds will be looking for nest sites and that it needed to be cleaned out.  I took the old nest out and for the second year in a row, it had yarn in it!  It's still only mid-February, but the birds will be busy soon so I'll probably start putting yarn pieces out for them fairly soon.  I didn't get a picture of the nest after I removed it, Otter had the camera and she was about to run off to a friend's house for a Dungeons and Dragons session.

I finished the 2nd scarf for the police donation yesterday and started the third one today.  I'm probably about 2/3 of the way done with it but I really needed to stop as my arms were getting sore.  I might get it finished tonight, but I'm not sure.  I think I might still manage to get a 4th one done, but I'm not making any promises on that.  I will at least get three donated.

I went to the yarn shop on Friday.  Just to look around and also to get the details on when/where to take the scarves.  This shop is mostly wool so I don't actually buy much there, but occasionally I do find non-wool yarn there.  It's more high-end yarn that Wallyworld would have, for example.  They have something I want.  I'd heard of yarn being made with mink, but nobody had it local.  But they got some in and it is so soft.  It's made by combing the minks, similar to sheep except that it's combed and not shorn.  It was the most georgeous red color and buttery soft, but at $28 for a somewhat small skein it's probably not something I'll buy!  Maybe.  It is not as soft as it sounds like it would be, but it is very soft and I think it's also very strong yarn.  I couldn't stay in there very long, they have so much wool that it bothers my allergies just to be around it.  My wool allergy is fairly strong, even being in close proximity is enough to set me off and Friday was no exception.  For about an hour after I left, I was still itchy but not as bad as the last time!  I stayed longer the last time.  I deliberatly don't go in there if I have a lot of time, because I'll stay too long and then might not have any skin left!  I really, really, really hate being allergic to wool!

But I have made a lot of de-stashing progress.  Although Otter did make a point of telling me about some yarn she saw when she was at Hobby Lobby on Friday, she went into great detail about how soft it was and how it was acrylic so I could use it.  There is a reason I call her my Chief Enabler after all!

Movie Review:  Hotel Transylvania.  It was ok, it was actually kind of cute.  But it was not nearly as good as we'd hoped.  It also wasn't as bad as we were afraid it would be.  But it could have been a lot better.

Frasier has been getting his tranquilzers at night the last couple of nights.  He's been better and I'm thinking that he'll probably only get them a couple more nights.  He's such a goof, and Maggie Moo is just as silly.  They had a head-on collision earlier, she was going out the dog door and he was coming in.  He won that battle, by the way.  Maggie looked kind of confused, but then she normally is!


No comments: